Possible To Introduce Second Cat This Way?

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been thinking of getting a second kitten, to give my current 10 month old kitten a companion, especially so in the coming years when i will be busier than i am now, where i am able to spend days with him. he's currently (seemingly) fine alone, he sleeps, he occasionally plays with his tunnels by himself, he sleeps belly up, very relaxed etc. but i figured if i was going to introduce another cat in the future, i might as well do it when he's younger and more receptive?

However, because i live in such a small apartment (studio where the bedroom and kitchen are in one room with a bathroom), a breeder/rescue suggested to me that i can possibly introduce them by putting the new kitten in a sort of pet tent, in the middle of the room. they will be separated by the tent, but otherwise, not really.

if it doesn't work out, and my cat is overly stressed, i have the option of returning the new kitten because there are trial periods.

i was just wondering, if you were in my situation, if you would get a second cat, and do you think it's possible to introduce a kitten this way? i'm just worried that a second cat might stress him out too much and take away his "safe space" since the place is so small.

Faikey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so cats don't like other cats at first. Like 90% of the time they will not like each other at first. But I've fostered and rescued probably 20 different cats in my life and I literally just brought two fosters into a new enviroment where there were 4 cats already including my main coon who didn't like the fosters to begin with.

All of my cats get along with one another eventually. Sometimes it easier than others. Males got together really quickly. The females were less friendly to one another but now are good to go. There was literally a pissing contest with females coming into the household but it's resolved. My coon is also new to these 6 other cats and in day 4 of my move she's made friends with both the males and now has no problem chilling with the other females as well.

I would suggest getting a fixed male cat. One that's used to multicat enviroments. I've never seen a cat fight go crazy in my life of owning animals. Just initial tension followed by slow progress until everyone is on good terms.

I wouldn't return a cat just because it's overally stressed. It's going to be stressed, you betcha. You just moved it to a new place with new smells and another animal. It's normal for it to freak out. I had foster cats hide in a closet for almost a week before coming out to hang out with the other cats.

Be patient. It takes time. But my male cats are really super close to one another and they're even close to the females. The females aren't very close but tolerate one another. They'll all lay with me but they're more jealous than my male cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ideally, the most successful cat introductions comes when the new cat is kept completely separate in a room and then slowly introduced to the new cat. That, of course, isn't always possible. And the method of keeping the new cat in a pet tent can work.

However, if possible, I would recommend starting the new kitten off closed in the bathroom for a little while. Just to give the kitten a chance to get used to you, and for your older kitten to get used to the new kitten's scent.

Then proceed with the pet tent. And do consider occasionally rotating who is in the pet tent, as you will need to let the kitten out to investigate the apartment.

Here's a TCS article that might have some tips for you:
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Good luck.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to suggest bathroom as well, it will work just fine at the beginning. Just make sure there are no spaces there where he could just hide and you won’t be able to see him.

I think it’s great you’re adopting another one when your resident is still a kitten, it will make a introduction so much easier! And yes, they will have themselves when you won’t be around which is super great. Good luck!