Possible stomach flu or something else?

puggleperson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I have 3 cats almost 7 months old. They are siblings, two males and one female.

On Tuesday around 4ish I noticed that one of my boys was throwing up foam and not acting like himself at all (I'm with them 24/7 so I know their personalities very well). He is very food motivated and wouldn't eat or cuddle/purr. He threw up about 4 times so I took him to the vet around 10pm. By the time we got home around 11:30 he was back to his old self.. In fact he didn't have a fever at the vets(he did at home) and he was acting normal so I didn't even get any tests done. He came home and ate and we cuddled all night. He has been fine ever since

So that was Tuesday.

Today (Thursday) my second boy was sick with diarrhea and vomiting around 1pm and isolated himself and wouldn't eat, basically like the last cat.. I stayed by him all day watching him, it was very obvious he did not feel good. Anyhow, that lasted till about 6-7 and then he started to act normal again. He wanted to eat (I boiled them chicken) and cuddled like usual.

I'm hoping their sister is not next. Or any of my other 3 cats (I have 6 total)

I have never heard of a stomach bug and especially such a short lived stomach bug? Have you heard of anything like this? They are indoor cats but I did let them run around outside with me on Monday for like 40 minutes. But if they got into something it would be weird that it took a day and then 3ish days to effect them. I didn't see them eat anything while we were outside and I know they are not getting into anything in the house,

Should I be worried? Anyone heard of such a thing? Thanks!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puggleperson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did take one of them to the vet on Tuesday.. Both cats are acting fine. Why do you suggest vet? Can you elaborate?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are so many viruses outside, and yes, it would take time to hit their system and cause symptoms to show.

I'm hoping they are fully vaccinated? (and of course spayed/neutered :)-we are very pro-s/n around here :)

The foaming first mentioned in the first kitty, not just vomiting makes me think of eating something non-agreeable, but not always so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puggleperson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh yes to all. This isn't my first rodeo ;) and my whole life is dedicated to animals and educating people about spay and neutering and not buying from pet stores.... Etct etc... These 3 I have are foster failures :( so now I help in other ways haha anyhoo,

The dr just wanted to run the blood test because as we all know there really isn't much they can find just by looking at them.. And as I was waiting and waiting my cat was acting normal so I told them I was going to leave and I would come back in the am if he threw up again or wasn't eating but when I got home he ate his food and has been fine ever since with no vomit.
pisses me off cause the vet specifically said that he wasn't dehydrated and his temp was fine but still put fluids on the estimate... I've been to this vet probably at least 50 times and I can never leave there without extra tests. I think I'm going to find a new vet.

I couldn't imagine them picking up a virus from the outdoors seeing as we virtually have NO cats but mine in the area... Can they catch things from raccoons because that would be a possibility since they come to my patio all the time...