Possible Shock From Wire Chewing

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a wire chewer, and I'm feeling a little worried about it. I have tubing over obvious wires, tucked away as many as I could, but somehow I forget something else or underestimate the urge to chew. It's mostly the thin wires that get chomped (like several of my phone chargers).

The other day, I noticed that the water fountain wasn't working. Happened to not hear the pump, and saw that the top portion (it's the Pioneer Pet raindrop) was knocked off, like someone hit it. That's when I noticed the wire had been chewed almost in half, but still attached and still plugged in. The cats hadn't acted any differently before I noticed it, and faces looked fine, but with the lid knocked off I'm wondering if the chewer got zapped??

I removed the pump, so now it's just a bowl of water, but they don't seem as interested in it. I don't know if stagnant water is just not as appealing, or if they're afraid of it. I don't know if anyone got hurt and I just don't see it? Would a jolt from that small pump cause serious damage? Do I replace the pump, get a different fountain, or just stick to the bowl and hope they eventually use it? I'm worried the one I suspect of being guilty is injured or traumatized. I hope it stops him from chewing on more wires, but I'm more worried he won't want to drink if I continue to use the raindrop, with or without the pump.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you have this concern.:alright: I hope no one got zapped! I would check the mouth of the one you think got zapped. There could be some burn evidence. Maybe even get the vet to check. Make sure everyone is eating and drinking without discomfort. The fountain is something cats normally love. Running water is a natural source for outdoors cats but I would put out some bowls of water and just observe to make sure they are drinking somewhere. Just change the water everyday to keep it fresh. I hope everyone is okay. Please update to let us know!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only hopefull thing is that sometimes getting zapped discourages future chewing. It did with ours. It may not in your case. Suggestion, since charger wires can't be covered, not even with duck tape, make a small box big enough for your phone etc. Put a small hole to draw the wire out just enough to attach to the plug in the wall. Put the box as close to the wall as possible. And tape the lid to the box, masking tape is good. The box won't last all that long, the tape will tear it up, but then you get another box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen anything in their mouths, both are eating, but I'm not sure about drinking. Smaller wires I'm able to supervise/ put away when not in use, but everything else has had at least a nibble. I checked another wire in a different location, which it flatter and wider (not a preference) and found it's had new nibbles too, as it is near where he likes to sleep.

I had extra PVC hose that I've used around the TV, computer, and fish tank, but it's difficult to work with and I'm all out. I tried those wire covers but I can't get it to sicks to my wall, or neatly gather wires. Are there other things I can use to cover the other wires in the house? I was hoping it would be just a phase but apparently it's not.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just posted this on another thread. It might be useful to you.

We painted all the wires with pepper sauce or hot sauce. Use the red colored sauce if you can find it. We used q-tips and art paint brushes. If you can't get pepper sauce try products that prevent chewing. One is bitter apple, there are others. Be sure you can open the windows when you do, some are over powering. You can also buy covers for your wires -- others will give you more details about those.

Most cats hate pepper sauce and the no-chewing products.

You probably won't have to 'paint' your wires more than once, but I'd do it again in a month just to be sure.