Possible ruptured capillaries in 6 yr old cat's earflap

marlowesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there

I never would've noticed this if it weren't for my cat sitting in the windowsill and the bright sun shining onto his ear ... but the membrane of one of his ears is all red, looking like a capillary ruptured and some blood pooled up. I don't think it's been there long but I'm not sure, since his dark fur sort of covers it. And you can't tell if you look at it from the inside of his ear. I can only see it when I sign a flashlight in his ear. There isn't any blood on the outside or inside of his ear. There aren't any coffee ground looking things that would indicate mites. He hasn't been tilting his head or messing it with it, as far as I can tell (at least not since I noticed). No behavior changes, he's eating/drinking like normal. He doesn't really notice when I touch it and it hasn't swelled at all.

I guess I'm wondering if a capillary can rupture w/o there being possible ear mites, an infection, a hematoma or something similar. 

I'm going to take him to the vet regardless, I suppose I'm just trying to calm my nerves that it's not something really bad.

Thanks,

Sarah

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @MarlowesMom, Sarah.

I'm not really sure if a capillary can rupture that easily in a cat's ear, though the ear is very delicate and thin, so it sounds very possible.

It does not sound like it is affecting your cat, since no scratching or head shaking,  but I'm glad you'll be taking him in to see your Vet.

Can you tell by looking at your cat's other ear flap, if the one ear looks extremely different, to the one that is affected?

There was a Picture of the Month contest, last year, which showed cat's ears.

Take a look at Post #17.

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/294002/...015-picture-of-the-month-contest#post_3710086     ....post #17

Does your cat's ear membrane look anything like that?

Hoping that the Vet gives you a good explanation of what causes it.

And that it easily goes away.