Possible ringworm?

kittencat27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I am looking for anyone experienced with ringworm to take a look at my foster kitty's new spot.

Background: This is a super sweet girl, maybe close to 2 years old, who came from a horrific hoarding situation and is in my care for foster (although we are considering keeping her). The shelter I am associated with has had the cats from this situation for about nine months and they have had some very persistent health issues - respiratory, eye, dental, skin, you name it. My girl in particular was one of the worst - she has about 10% vision in one eye and had the other removed as it only caused her discomfort. She is currently on Atopica for very persistent skin issues. We've tried special diets, etc but she had sores for MONTHS until putting her on this med. Prenisolone didn't help her much either. Her skin is finally cleared up until today...

I found this spot (photo) on her back while she was sitting with me on the couch. It's about as much of a ring as you can get. The shelter where I have worked/volunteered for years is currently having a ringworm outbreak. In the past we have been able to get it under control pretty easily but this time it has been rampant - I am wondering if we have a more vicious variety this time? Regardless we have VERY strict protocols in place including isolation, deep cleaning, medication, PPE. I follow it all to a T and when I come home, don't touch anything and go straight to the shower.

I'm fortunate to have a fair amount of experience and knowledge of ringworm, just not in my own home. So I know this isn't life and death and that we will get past it. I am hoping to do a skin test this week but I know waiting for results is not a smart move, so in the meantime I have chlorhexidine I can use and can do some deep cleaning as well as get topical meds if needed.

I am just looking for input about whether this looks like ringworm to others or if we should consider any other possibilities given that we do have an immunocompromised history with this kitty. The spot does not glow under black light, but I know that doesn't mean much. Knowing how the ringworm thing is going at the shelter right now I am paranoid enough that I could probably be convinced almost anything is ringworm, so I do question my judgment. The other things that make me question if this could be ringworm are
1) What are the chances I could have brought it home with the extreme precautions I take?
2) What are the chances it would form a spot in the middle of the back of only one of three cats we have, and no spots on me? I have never seen ringworm start in a spot like that - usually face, paws, etc. Then again, this is the only immunocompromised member of our household.
3) Could this be related to previous underlying skin issues or another condition that hasn't yet been diagnosed connected to her backstory or medical history?

Thanks in advance for setting me straight, one way or another. :)

Attachments