Possible Pregnancy Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 no idea about the stitches...they didnt told me yet about the after surgery. I work in sterilisation in a big Hospital. I saw a lot of surgeries on humans...but this is so different.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wrong forum

Last edited:

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the spraying happened today...Bee was at vet since 8am and i got a call at work from the vet saying that she had heart murmur. The 2 options she gave me were 1) wait till monday and get an echo from the cardiologist for 400$ or 2)get an injection . I picked option 2 and cryed all day at work (was embarrassing but i could not stop the flood). I picked up Bee from the vet an hour ago. She is ok...a bit not herself...not wombly when she is walking (she walk 1 meter and lay down) but she always want to lay down on her side. She ate half of the 3oz can of food i left to the vet at 4pm and i gave her a bit of what was left mixed with water 30 min ago at home. She jumped in the bathtub to rest...so i picked her up (i didnt want her to jump out of it later) and she jumped back into the bath. I gave her one of my comfy shirt so she dont have to sleep on the cold ceramic. She is now sleeping there.

Should i leave her alone in the bath? The bathroom is pretty cold but she is not shivering. Should i put the heather on?

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I opened the heather..she is still sleeping there.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not leave her alone. You should also put the heat on. It's not good for the cat to be cold.

What exactly was the injection that the vet gave?

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 she never told me the name of the drug, she only told me it was used for cats with heart problems. Should i call tomorrow and ask what it was?

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The drug is called Metacam...its a pain killer. I took her out of the bath this afternoon and set up a couple beds on the floor so she has comfy places. She is taking a few steps and lay down on the floor. She did pee for the first time tonight and i'm waiting for the first poop (i moved one of the litter box close to where she is but she went to the far one). She is eating normally but i bring the food to her (she did walk to me once when i was preparing it in the kitchen, but i rather bring it where she is laying down for now). Her stitches are looking good.
I think im doing everything right...seeing her in pain upset me but it is a big operation so i guess her behavior is normal.

Edit: sorry, the metacam is what im giving her every 24 hr for 4 days. Totally forgot to ask the vet about the injection during the surgery when i called today.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know my updates are not necessary but its hard to see my baby in pain and there is no ppl who i can really talk to about my cat.
Thank you so much Sarthur2 for taking the time to read and drop comments...it really make me feel better :)
So today :p...I had to leave for work at 8am (first day away from her after surgery) and i was worried about her trying to try to pull her stitches. Came back from work and no problem. She has more energy and she jump on chairs (it annoys me, i dont want her to hurt herself). She still walk funny and lay on her side after walking for a minute (it was after 4 or 5 steps before). Tomorrow is the last dose of metacam.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds like she is doing well. It's good for her to move around.

If she starts picking at her stitches you can apply olive oil to the area. It will soothe it, because stitches get dry and itchy as the incision heals.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the olive oil idea :) .She is not picking on her stitches atm but if she does, i will try that before the e-collar.
Came back from work today and she is finally acting like nothing happened. She is limping but she doesnt drop on her side anymore. She want to play but i am not sure if i should bring out the wands and catnip toys. I play a little bit with a pen when she lay down on the bed. I had to leave for 48 hours this weekend to visit my bf in the US, but im not sure if its too early for leaving her alone that long? She is used to me leaving for the weekend every 2 weeks or so and staying alone with Pie (my other cat).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds okay, but you may want to stay until her stitches are removed, just to be on the safe side.

Why is she limping?

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not sure why she is limping but it seems gone today. Maybe because of where they put the IV on her front leg. Im glad i followed your advice about staying home this weekend, last night she tried to pull her stitches. I used olive oil like you recommended but it doesnt seems to be enough so this morning before work i used the e-collar. Hopefully everything ll go well till she get the stitches removed next week. There is a little bit of dried blood on her scar, i guess from the pulling, but its not swollen, open or red.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You asked me last week what injection she received during the surgery for her heart issue (when the vet called me at work). I called the hospital 5 minutes ago to take an appointment to remove the stitches and also asked about that. The vet tech told me it was a different anesthesia called alfaxan. I wonder why they dont always use that if its safer for the heart, but its more expensive.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's interesting about the anesthesia.

How long until her stitches are out? They normally only stay in for ten days.

If she's picking at them, it's because the incision is healing and the stitches are getting tight and itchy.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the vet told me 14 days..the vet tech i talked to today said that it was prolly healed but the e collar was a good idea. The appointment for removing the stitches is 26th oct.. I removed the e-collar but ll put it back on when i go to bed. Watching her all the time is exhausting :(

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You might want to ask them if her stitches can come out earlier than the 26th.