Possible overdose on vermic total

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, my cats caught tapeworms a while back, took them to the vets and they were given vermic total dewormer. We were then given enough pills for a couple more doses at home. I was told to give them every 2 weeks. Well I forgot at first and they got second dose after 3 weeks, but I really struggled in administering them so for this weeks dose we took them to vet to administer them. I handed over the strip of pills to the vet tech who was going to give them but had to do it in the surgery area because no consultation rooms available and we were told vet tech could do it rather than waiting over an hour for the vet. Anyway, after we were charged for 1 more pill even though I gave them enough for 2 doses each almost. (5 pills, 6 cats, each cat should have got approx half a pill each) I was confused but didn’t ask anything at the time as well, pregnancy brain. Just thought of it now and vets are closed until the morning. One of the cats had diarrhea when we got home, approx. 1hr after pills taken. Anyway, I’m now concerned that the cats were given a whole pill each instead of half that they should have received. How dangerous is this? I will of course call the vets when they open in the morning. Thank you

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no experience with wormers, but I think you should verify if your cats' were given too much (re-check dosage data), and you can check on line for the recommended limits on doses as well. If it would seem they were given too much, you could call a vet clinic that is open and ask them about it. You could also try to call your vet and see if they leave the number of a clinic that they recommend when they are not open. Lastly, you could call a pet poison hotline and ask.

I hope some members who have firsthand experience with wormers will soon see your post and offer their input.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately where we live none of those options exist. I have checked the website for the manufacturers and it does mention that 1 whole tablet can be given as a single dose. But it also says 1tablet per 10kg. Even the emergency vet barely ever answers the phone out here. I’ll call in the morning (it’s midnight here now). Thanks anyway