Possible Nystagmus? (Advice appreciated)

cyree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I adopted Percy at 8 weeks old from my aunt in June, I noticed that she was quite a bit less coordinated than her siblings. Her three siblings were all jumping up on to things and climbing, but she couldn't quite make it. She would attempt to follow them, but would often fall short. Previously, in videos from my aunt I had noticed that she was a little wobbly. Not wobbly enough for Cerebellar Hypoplasia, but still wobbly. At the time I just chalked it up to her being young.

However, not long after we got her, I noticed that when she was not moving and was staring up at me, her eyes were quivering. It wasn't super noticeable and my eyesight is not perfect, so I dismissed it. But recently my mom brought it up, saying she had noticed that Percy's eyes were wobbly and that she would tend to shake her head (as if saying no). I hadn't noticed the head shaking, but upon hearing about the wobbling I decided to look into the eye wobbling. I thought maybe it was a common cat thing.

When I searched up "wobbly cat eyes" Nystagmus came up. I looked at a few videos to see examples and many of them fit Percy. She seems to have milder case, because the amount of wobbling changes. When she's super focused it's more noticeable. On top of that, I have suspicions that she has some Siamese in her because of her coloring, vocal nature, and when she was younger her eyes would cross at times. While researching, I saw that Nystagmus is common among Siamese cats. She doesn't seem to have problems with balance or head tilting, although she does have a habit of flopping on to her side and dragging herself around on the carpet. Again, I don't know if that has anything to do with the condition.

I'm considering taking her to the vet just to check in and get confirmation on whether or not she has Nystagmus. Based on this information, what are your thoughts?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a vet diagnosis is the best place to start.  Also, a basic check up would be good, too. That way, the vet has a baseline for your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I think a vet diagnosis is the best place to start.  Also, a basic check up would be good, too. That way, the vet has a baseline for your kitty.
Thank you for the quick response! I'm going to take her to the vet pretty soon. :)