Possible No Elimination in 24 hours?

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! My friends and I are attempting to rehome two cats, Princess and King. Right now, we have a foster home for them and I believe King hasn't used the litter box in 24 + hours. I'm wondering if this means it's an emergency and it's time to bring him into the vet.

He is much more traumatized than his mother (Princess) who has been eating and urinating since we moved them. King did pee in his carrier (and my leg, unfortunately) on November 18 at 10 PM PST. Since then, we're not sure if he has eliminated. I've had my friend who is fostering them separate the cats into two rooms to help better monitor their elimination. King started eating last night on November 19 and has eaten today as well. He's a picky eater so it was difficult to get him to eat in the beginning.

King is originally an outdoor cat and does his business outdoors but the owner has informed us that he knows how to use the litter box. 

I'm going over to check them in a few hours. My friend who is fostering them is at work but before that, King hasn't used the litter box. We know of two out of the four times the litter box has been used was Princess because she has a thing where she does her business and shows us. But the other 2 could be any of them! 

Should I be concerned? Or is this "normal"? 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, it is normal for kitties who are stressed to not have bowel movements or to urinate for a day or so.  When they do, it's usually at night under the cover of darkness.  If you can find it in Canada, I'd recommend a Feliway diffuser for their room and to keep them confined to one room until they settle in.  If you can provide a small box to hide in, that would help as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately, it is normal for kitties who are stressed to not have bowel movements or to urinate for a day or so.  When they do, it's usually at night under the cover of darkness.  If you can find it in Canada, I'd recommend a Feliway diffuser for their room and to keep them confined to one room until they settle in.  If you can provide a small box to hide in, that would help as well.
Okay! Phew! That's a relief to know a day or so is normal. How long is not normal though? 

I think I'll go look into that I did see some calming diffuser/sprays at the pet store the other day but it wasn't Feliway. Thank you for the ideas!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, have them play classical music in the room.  That might help as well.  Or, if they've got a tablet or laptop, look at the Relax the Cat videos/music sets that you can stream.