Possible mange

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any ideas on how to treat a friendly stray with what I think is some form of mange? I don't have the money to take him to the vet right now, but I want to try and give the poor thing some relief. He is eat up really bad.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
There are several different kinds of mange and you need to ask a vet to take a skin scraping to determine exactly what is wrong. Some types of mange can be treated with a course of injections, others need to be treated with a medicated shampoo. It's not really possible to treat this without a vet's help, because not every treatment works with every type of mange.

Is there a shelter or ASPCA you could ask for help?

Here are a few you could try.

Assistance - Oklahoma Animal Alliance

Free Wellness Exam Partners | City of OKC

SAVE Ohio Pets | Free Spay and Neuter Clinic, Vet Care in Columbus, Ohio

Are you having trouble affording your pet?

Ohio Pets: 9 Affordable Vet Care Resources

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to, sadly, agree with Norachan Norachan . Until you know what kind of mange you are dealing with, treatments are very hit and miss, and most require a vet to administer or prescribe. NONE of the old wive's tale treatments work at all. Especially NOT motor oil, which can burn that already-damaged skin and cause LOTS of pain, never mind poisoning from grooming. DO check those resources, and check for local cat rescue groups in your area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any ideas on how to treat a friendly stray with what I think is some form of mange? I don't have the money to take him to the vet right now, but I want to try and give the poor thing some relief. He is eat up really bad.
20210925_182400.jpg

I have to, sadly, agree with Norachan Norachan . Until you know what kind of mange you are dealing with, treatments are very hit and miss, and most require a vet to administer or prescribe. NONE of the old wive's tale treatments work at all. Especially NOT motor oil, which can burn that already-damaged skin and cause LOTS of pain, never mind poisoning from grooming. DO check those resources, and check for local cat rescue groups in your area.
I intend to take him to the vet, just can't until I get paid on the 5th. I was just hoping for a stop gap treatment to try and relieve a little of his discomfort. I feel so bad for the little guy. He is obviously miserable.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It is upsetting to see them suffer, isn't it? Don't worry, even though he must be uncomfortable his condition isn't life threatening. If you can get him to the vet when you get paid he will be fine. I've seen worse cases in feral cats and they recovered completely with treatment.

It's not worth the risk of trying home remedies or over the counter treatment. They probably won't work and they might make him a lot worse.

:hangin:

Please keep us posted on his progress.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since he obviously trusts you, you might try dabbing the worst spots with a cotton ball soaked in chilled chamomile tea. It is soothing to all kinds of skin "ouchies." The very mild antibiotic and antifungal properties will help some, but will NOT take the place of proper medication. But it will soothe. Brew a cup from commercial, unblended tea bags, chill it in the fridge, then dab it on with a cotton ball. Please use the commercially prepared bags, as they are the German variety, which is safe for cats. The English (or Latin) variety is NOT.

I've used chamomile tea to soothe skin issues in dogs, cats, rats, cows, horses, sheep, and humans. I keep it on hand during the summer for insect bites, and half the kids in the neighborhood now knock on my door for a "splash of that stuff."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 cat house

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is upsetting to see them suffer, isn't it? Don't worry, even though he must be uncomfortable his condition isn't life threatening. If you can get him to the vet when you get paid he will be fine. I've seen worse cases in feral cats and they recovered completely with treatment.

It's not worth the risk of trying home remedies or over the counter treatment. They probably won't work and they might make him a lot worse.

:hangin:

Please keep us posted on his progress.
Absolutely. He is so loving its hard to know he is hurting. But I will definitely get him to the vet asap.