Possible Lymphoma

my3sweeties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet did a house call today and drew blood for WBC. Sophie's lymphocyte count was 6.7 two weeks ago when another vet, closer to my home had done the test. Today, my regular vet did it and just called me with the results...Sophie's lymphocyte count is now 13 ! She is sending the blood sample to a pathologist for review. Apparently there are diff types of lymphocytes and an increased number does not necessarily mean lymphoma. Lymphocytes can be elevated due to stress for example (Sophie was definitely stressed today,she peed as the vet picked her up to put her on the counter!). Sophie had diarrhea for 1.5 months but has been pooing "normally" now for over 1 week after taking 5 mg daily of prednisolone. She's gained weight ( a month ago she was 4.2kg and now she's 4.8kg) and is eating normally, playing and looks well. My question is, other than from excitement, has anyone else had a kitty with elevated lymphocytes that did not have lymphoma?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mainly I'm bumping this up for you since you are asking a specific question, but I would stress that STRESS(no pun intended) definitely can increase lymphocytes, so try not to panic. Having a pathologist look at the report is the right way to go, and then you can take it from there.

At least for now she is gaining weight and seemingly feeling better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my3sweeties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Must to update Sophie is doing much better now. She was on prednisolone for about 1 month and I slowly introduced her to a commercial raw diet. She is off the pred now for over 4 months and has gained back her weight and then some. She no longer has the runs and her poops are formed. I think the raw diet ( I’m not trying to push this or saying it’s for everyone) is what saved her. The first 4 years of her kife she was fed a good canned food but I guess it didn’t agree with her. Raw saved the day.....for now. Fingers crossed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my3sweeties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Must to update Sophie is doing much better now. She was on prednisolone for about 1 month and I slowly introduced her to a commercial raw diet. She is off the pred now for over 4 months and has gained back her weight and then some. She no longer has the runs and her poops are formed. I think the raw diet ( I’m not trying to push this or saying it’s for everyone) is what saved her. I guess for the first 4 years of her life being fed a good canned food didn’t agree with her. Raw saved the day.....for now. Fingers crossed. The test results for lymphoma came back negative. Apparently the pathologist can tell by the shape and size of the lymphocytes fairly accurately if it is lymphoma. So far so good. I think if it was lymphoma Sophie wouldn’t have gained back the weight and wouldn’t be doing this well. .

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wonderful update. I think you are right about the lymphoma and she probably would NOT be doing so well if it were that. Did the pathologist never get back with you?