Possible intestinal obstruction- advice needed

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet thinks my cat has an intestinal obstruction. He is scheduled for possible surgery tomorrow morning where they will take an additional x ray to see if things have improved overnight.

Now I'm a bit reluctant to jump on the surgery bandwagon. My other cat had the same symptoms- nausea vomiting, and was very very sick. I took her in every single day for 4 days for fluids, while we waited to get an abdominal ultrasound scheduled. X rays showed a hugely enlarged stomach filled with air (i think, maybe it was fluids I can't remember). Whatever it was finally passed all by itself. The ultrasound was normal minus some intestinal thickening- Inflammatory Bowel possible. She made a full recovery and started eating before we even started medications (other than something for nausea). I am not convinced that was Inflammatory bowel, possible pancreatitis, and not just plain old food poisoning.

This is a different cat. He suddenly stopped eating yesterday (which is never a good sign). Besides being quieter than normal and the lack of appetite he is still feeling okay. They gave him fluids and did bloodwork, and sent us home. I took the pain medication home with me- and right now he is sitting on my lap as I type this. He seems nauseous but not obviously painful. If he does get worse obviously I will give him pain medication.

The vet and I went over things to look for in case he gets worse- fever, worsening pain, pale mucous membranes, agitation

Any suggestions, similar experiences, or words of encouragement would be appreciated. To be honest, I'm totally freaked out and have a feeling I will not be sleeping tonight. I just lost Isabelle a couple months ago from cancer. I can't lose him as well.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear that your cat is going through this. I would trust your vet. Obstructions are potentially life-threatening. Since they will take X-Rays again, your vet will know what is going on, and won’t proceed with surgery unless it is necessary. Please, do keep us updated, and I will keep your cat in my thoughts and prayers.