Possible Ibd Kitty

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
H all, I've been struggling with my cats issues for about 3 months now. I adopted her in January and ever since she came home shes been having on and off diareah and slight cherry red blood in her stools. Shes been on antibiotics and she was dewormer again last week so at this point I can rule out any parasites. Shes FCoV+ but has no signs or symptoms of FIP. At this point I'm thinking she might have IBD, she never really vomits but does salivate quite a bit. At the moment shes on a raw diet and I'm trying different proteins giving about two weeks between switches. Any info on how to treat and care for an IBD cat is very welcome. It's the first time I've ever delt with diatary issues in my cats. Is a raw diet a good choice for her? Ive tried limited ingredient wet foods but they all have problematic ingredients in them so raw was the best LID I could find. Can bone content effect her IBD? I'm doing absolutely everything I can for her but feel lost. Shes a very happy healthy cat in every other way. I just want my fur baby to be at peak health.
Thank you for reading

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had an IBD cat and his IBD was controlled with a steroid. I never tried a raw diet but others swear by it for IBD. Have you had an ultrasound done? If you can swing it financially it might be worth a try. There is also a blood test that checks B12 and folate levels which is a good indicator of IBD.

Have you tried unusual proteins not normally found in pet food? I don't know if two weeks would be enough time you might want to give it a little longer. Some people have had good luck with probiotics. There is also something called S. boulardii that has helped many cats with persistent digestive issues Saccharomyces boulardii - Wikipedia

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bone can definitely be problematic for ibd cats.

Are you feeding homemade or commercial? If you're making your own, can you try eggshell calcium in place of bone? Also the addition of gelatin to the recipe (and bone broth to her diet) should help with healing and sealing a leaky gut characteristic of IBD.