Possible Hyperesthesia Syndrome + Urinating Outside of Litter Box?

opossumleg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this forum and couldn't find a thread relating to this topic with a quick search, so...

My cat, Haku, is almost 6 months old and has always been very good about using the litter box. He was neutered at 4 months old, and about a month and a half ago he started urinating on piles of towels and clothing, in laundry baskets, and on my bed pretty consistently once a day. I took him to the vet and they gave me a urinary tract health dry food, and he's been eating that since then and went accident-free for about two weeks. A few days ago, it started up again and he has urinated in three places outside of the litter box lately.
The only other option I can find is that it could be due to stress triggers in the house, but I thought that usually resulted in spraying to mark territory rather than squatting and urinating on things? and I can't think of anything that would be causing him to be stressed-- we have a stable normal routine, a relatively quiet house, no stray animals outside, and only one very polite dog inside (by "polite", I mean he leaves Haku alone and only really interacts with him by very gently playing when Haku initiates it).
I was doing some research about some of his other behaviors and noticed that this one thing he does usually once or twice a day almost perfectly matches the symptoms of a Hyperesthesia Syndrome episode, and I was wondering if that had anything to do with the urinating? I haven't noticed if the urinating lines up with the fur rippling/licking/head shaking/meowing/running around episodes, but I'll be keeping a close eye from now on to see if it does.

Would that make sense? If there are any other details I can give that might help identify what's going on, please ask and I'll do the best I can to answer with specifics. I really want to find out what's causing the urination issue, because obviously it's not ideal for me to have to keep all of the doors closed and give Haku such limited space in the house.

Thank you for your time!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I had a cat with FSH who also urinated in corners. I knew that she hated another indoor only cat, for reasons I was never able to determine, and the day he was put to sleep from illness she stopped urinating on the floor and began to use the litterbox. She never repeated the behavior although the FSH did continue. The urinating never occurred during an episode of FSH and hers were quite spectacular....tried to mutilate her tail, lost recognition of who I was, etc.

Did the vet test for a UTI or just give you the food? It does make me wonder if there is a UTI at play since the prescription food seemed to help. Of course, this could be a coincidence because the food has no antibiotic component. Personally, if the vet did not test for a UTI, I would definitely take him back to rule that out or get some treatment for it.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

There are a number of articles on TCS about litterbox issues.

Search Results for “litterbox” – TheCatSite Articles

From Jackson Galaxy who deals with this a lot. He also has a number of videos if you would like to watch them although the one I listed here covers, in general, the most common reasons that cats avoid the litterbox.

Litter Box Avoidance 101 - Jackson Galaxy

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this forum and couldn't find a thread relating to this topic with a quick search, so...

My cat, Haku, is almost 6 months old and has always been very good about using the litter box. He was neutered at 4 months old, and about a month and a half ago he started urinating on piles of towels and clothing, in laundry baskets, and on my bed pretty consistently once a day. I took him to the vet and they gave me a urinary tract health dry food, and he's been eating that since then and went accident-free for about two weeks. A few days ago, it started up again and he has urinated in three places outside of the litter box lately.
The only other option I can find is that it could be due to stress triggers in the house, but I thought that usually resulted in spraying to mark territory rather than squatting and urinating on things? and I can't think of anything that would be causing him to be stressed-- we have a stable normal routine, a relatively quiet house, no stray animals outside, and only one very polite dog inside (by "polite", I mean he leaves Haku alone and only really interacts with him by very gently playing when Haku initiates it).
I was doing some research about some of his other behaviors and noticed that this one thing he does usually once or twice a day almost perfectly matches the symptoms of a Hyperesthesia Syndrome episode, and I was wondering if that had anything to do with the urinating? I haven't noticed if the urinating lines up with the fur rippling/licking/head shaking/meowing/running around episodes, but I'll be keeping a close eye from now on to see if it does.

Would that make sense? If there are any other details I can give that might help identify what's going on, please ask and I'll do the best I can to answer with specifics. I really want to find out what's causing the urination issue, because obviously it's not ideal for me to have to keep all of the doors closed and give Haku such limited space in the house.

Thank you for your time!
My cat has fhs as well as idiopathic cystitis which has caused her to urinate outside the box when she has a flare-up. Mycat has cystitis due to any stressor. I have learned that fhs cats have a high incidence of cystitis as well. I would get videos of the fhs symptoms as well as get urine sample by needle so you can see what exactly you are dealing with. There are two great groups on Facebook one dealing with fhs and the other with fic and fludt...they have helped me tremendously. I would encourage you to check them out. Good luck...I know how terrible both these issues are to deal with. Also check with your vet about giving dmannose. Powder and corn silk extract. Both help with urinary health and help cystitis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

opossumleg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I had a cat with FSH who also urinated in corners. I knew that she hated another indoor only cat, for reasons I was never able to determine, and the day he was put to sleep from illness she stopped urinating on the floor and began to use the litterbox. She never repeated the behavior although the FSH did continue. The urinating never occurred during an episode of FSH and hers were quite spectacular....tried to mutilate her tail, lost recognition of who I was, etc.

Did the vet test for a UTI or just give you the food? It does make me wonder if there is a UTI at play since the prescription food seemed to help. Of course, this could be a coincidence because the food has no antibiotic component. Personally, if the vet did not test for a UTI, I would definitely take him back to rule that out or get some treatment for it.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

There are a number of articles on TCS about litterbox issues.

Search Results for “litterbox” – TheCatSite Articles

From Jackson Galaxy who deals with this a lot. He also has a number of videos if you would like to watch them although the one I listed here covers, in general, the most common reasons that cats avoid the litterbox.

Litter Box Avoidance 101 - Jackson Galaxy
The vet didn’t do a urine test, but he did feel Haku’s bladder and said it wasn’t swollen so he didn’t have a blockage of any kind. He had us start using a water fountain to keep him hydrated, but he doesn’t really drink from it much. I’m not sure exactly how much the food really helped him—like you said, it’s very possible that it was just a coincidence.
I had wondered if any of our other pets were causing the issue, but the only other cat we have is a mostly-outdoor neutered male cat who’s too old to care what Haku does, but Haku seems to love him (follows him around the house with his tail straight up, tries to play with him) so I wouldn’t think he was the source of stress?
I’ll check out the links you sent in just a minute. Thank you for the reply!