Possible health issue? Also how to deal with it in the current apocalypse.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So for a couple of weeks now I've been finding places my 2 year old cat has been peeing outside his litter box. I though it was cause his litter box wasn't to his satisfaction ( I have 2 because I have 2 cats) so I started cleaning them more often. Then I thought it might be out of territorialness from his brother (who is not yet a year old and was adopted in September or October) so I started giving him more individualized attention. And today while taking laundry out of the dryer and putting in a basket, I noticed he was squatted over some sheets I was gonna watch and wondered what he was doing. Turns out he was trying ( emphasis on trying) to pee on them. He managed to get about 2 drops out then tried to cover it. My next step would be to take him to the vet but as we all know there is currently an apocalypse and everything is closed. If he's sick or in pain I wouldn't want him to suffer longer then he has to but I don't know what I can do until his vet office opens up again.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phone the vet! Vets here are seeing patients but it does take more time than usual to get an appointment, as only one visitor is allowed in the buildng at any one time. Your poor cat needs help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Males can get blocked, which is a real emergency. Straining can also be caused by an infection or cystitis (very painful). Give the vet a call and ask what their procedures are right now. Most vets are still taking patients, just with curbside service so you don't go into the vet's office. If yours isn't open they can recommend one who is.

But yeah, he really needs vet attention today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Luckily I was able to find a vet that took him within 20 minutes of calling. She says he's giving me the middle finger.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Phone the vet! Vets here are seeing patients but it does take more time than usual to get an appointment, as only one visitor is allowed in the buildng at any one time. Your poor cat needs help.
He is apparently giving the middle finger. She said we're gonna basically drug him

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure what that means, but if they didn't bother to try to get urine from him to perform a urinalysis/urine culture, then this vet isn't taking the situation seriously. Drug him with what?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Noooo. . .if a cat is peeing 2 drops in front of you, he's asking for help, that's not behavioral. He needs a urinalysis. Behavioral drugs may help a little because infections are stressful, but that won't fix a bladder problem.

Did she at least make sure he's not blocked?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Blockage is extremely serious. If this turns into a complete blockage he will die a painful death. Full blockage is fatal within 24 hours.

He already is partially blocked from the sound of it. Straining and only producing a few drops of pee is a partial blockage from the sound of it. By doing it on your sheets he is saying it really hurts to pee.

Please have a second opinion done.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what that means, but if they didn't bother to try to get urine from him to perform a urinalysis/urine culture, then this vet isn't taking the situation seriously. Drug him with what?
She did an exam and said his bladder was not distended and that it was small so they couldn't take a sample. She gave me amitriptyline to try and help him not be so stressed (she thinks its because the kitten isn't a kitten anymore and is more like an adult cat).

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blockage is extremely serious. If this turns into a complete blockage he will die a painful death. Full blockage is fatal within 24 hours.

He already is partially blocked from the sound of it. Straining and only producing a few drops of pee is a partial blockage from the sound of it. By doing it on your sheets he is saying it really hurts to pee.

Please have a second opinion done.
I will take him to another vet but tomorrow is Saturday and most of the vets in my area are already closed for the day

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She did an exam and said his bladder was not distended and that it was small so they couldn't take a sample. She gave me amitriptyline to try and help him not be so stressed (she thinks its because the kitten isn't a kitten anymore and is more like an adult cat).
Fair enough about not being able to get a urine sample. The vet may be right because the bladder was not full, but not treating him for both - anxiety and possible infection is kind of stupid. Are you finding other places (outside the box) that he is still peeing on/in? Otherwise, where is all the urine that they should have found in his bladder? Is he drinking and eating OK? Until you can figure out what to do next, use some towels that you are not in love with and place them near the litter box to see if he will use those. You can wash them immediately and re-use them for that purpose.

If you are lucky enough (and willing) you can try to catch some pee - assuming you catch him in the act - in a sterile container and take it to a vet for the urinalysis/urine culture. It can be put in the fridge for several hours before getting it to a vet to be checked without losing its viability for testing.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Please do get him in for a second opinion and tell whomever you call that you believe this is an emergency. Don't be reasonable or listen to suggestions that put you back at square one. Aside from an animal being hit by a car or the victim of an attack of some sort, this is really at the top of the emergency lists. I have had two ferals die from blockages.....wild and untrappable for the second time after having been TNRed.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fair enough about not being able to get a urine sample. The vet may be right because the bladder was not full, but not treating him for both - anxiety and possible infection is kind of stupid. Are you finding other places (outside the box) that he is still peeing on/in? Otherwise, where is all the urine that they should have found in his bladder? Is he drinking and eating OK? Until you can figure out what to do next, use some towels that you are not in love with and place them near the litter box to see if he will use those. You can wash them immediately and re-use them for that purpose.

If you are lucky enough (and willing) you can try to catch some pee - assuming you catch him in the act - in a sterile container and take it to a vet for the urinalysis/urine culture. It can be put in the fridge for several hours before getting it to a vet to be checked without losing its viability for testing.
He is only peeing on piles of clean clothes. I did a little more research into the medication she gave me and it seems to be a viable option for things I’ve observed (the meds are also perscribed for cats who have frequent urinary issues and/or aggression towards other cats). My plan is to try and take him to a second vet and have him examined to see if I get the same diagnosis.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For everyone who commented on my older cat's inappropriate urination issue , I finally have the issue diagnosed. So I was finally able to get a urine sample from him and take it to the vet. My mom actually found this cool product called Kit4cat collection kit (makes it super easy to collect the sample). Turns out he has a UTI and is going to need antibiotics and that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good job on getting the urine specimen and getting a diagnosis! Hope he's feeling better soon.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its basically hydrophobic sand and a dropper (to suck the pee up) and a tube. You can collect it one day and take it in at your convenience (within reason) as long as you refrigerate it. But you just empty your litter box and let them have a go. I ended up needing 2 kits cause my cat wouldn't use the sand with just 1 kit (not enough for him?)

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I know this is an update on my older cat's inappropriate peeing issue that I said was resolved (idk how to make it a continuum so if someone could do that I would appreciate it thank you). So about a week after he got his antibiotic shot (which the vet told me he wouldn't need to come back unless something new happened) I WATCHED him pee on a pile of clean sheets. So I called the vet the next day and they basically told me to bring back in and they would run another urine test (which they couldn't get a sample the first time. I had to get the sample). When I asked what else they think he might have they didn't give me an answer. They also wanted to charge me another 50$ just to bring him in and it would be an extra 30$ IF they were able to get a sample and run it. When pressed further they really couldn't give me a clear answer to what else it might be (as it CLEARLY wasn't a UTI). So it took him to a vet that was a little farther away but that he had visited previously AND that my job used (I work at a private cat shelter). After they took him in I waited about 20 minutes. The vet came out and told me what they were doing and what was next. They got a sample and were running it. He told me it was very unlikely he ever had a UTI (as apparently cats under 5 usually don't have them (he just turned 2 in March). He told me some other stuff it might be but that he wouldn't be sure till the results came back. About 20 minutes after that he came back out and told me they found a little bit of blood in his urine (they also had called the other vet to get their records of treatment) and told me his bladder and kidney function was normal. He then told me about lower urinary tract disease and explained treatment and prognosis (basically it might flair up every couple of months maybe once a year if I get it under control). He then scheduled a follow up (that I don't have to pay for) for this week. And said that if he developed any additional symptoms in the future I could call and it would be a reduced price. I can get basically Advil for cats from him if my cat has an especially painful flair up but it seems to be under control for the most part.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad you had him seen by another vet! I take it this new vet is suggesting he has FLUTD/cystitis? So, when the new vet looked over the records from your original vet, they are saying no UTI showed up on the testing? Wow! Either way, in most cases, when blood shows up in the urine, it is likely from crystals and/or inflammation, or even infection. All of which can happen with the above noted condition. Did the new vet give you any information on this condition, and how to help treat it and prevent flare ups? Some of these cats do require an anti-inflammatory, so I suppose that is where the 'Advil for cats' come into play. If it is idiopathic/interstitial cystitis, many vets consider the cause to be primarily stress related.
Feline lower urinary tract disease
Feline Urinary Tract Disease: What You Should Know

Hope things keep improving! Keep us posted! Did we ever learn his name? Excuse me if I missed that (and a pic of him)!