Possible Fiv

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
29FA3CCD-0509-4A1D-9CE6-4DCA3B901EC3.jpeg My husband picked this cat off the street two winters ago, one very cold & foggy morning. He was dirty and fur matted. I could feel his bones everywhere. Since then he became a regular vet clinic visitor. From the time he first came to us we already treated him with several issues from ringworms, eye infections to dental problems. From where he came from it was obvious he was neglected.

But Barley has always been this sweet, gentle cat - always very tolerant and welcoming of all my fosters. Everytime he acts as a “dad” to the younger ones. When he is hungry, he never demands for food. He just sits quietly in a corner and wait for me to feed him.

This morning I asked my husband to bring him to the vet as I noticed he is losing a lot of weight - although he eats like the normal, and his fur is also thinning. No bald patches - just his hair not the usual fluff anymore. Since I could not be allowed for a day off I asked my husband to bring this baby. And the vet said he suspects that he has FIV. He is prescribed some vitamins and if still his weight does not improve, he is asked to be returned immediately in 3-4 weeks which seems forever to me!

I am praying. Hoping darn hard it would turn out negative. But if the vet’s suspicion is true, then I will be devastated. I love this boy to bits, and I think I can never find any cat like Barley ever again in my lifetime.

Does any one of you have FIV cats or have experience with this? I am still praying that this does not befall on my Barley. Not my Barley, please ☹.

I am sorry for the long post. I just feel so sad right now and I want to pour out my feelings. I hope my fears and of the vet’s are not correct.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
No need to be devastated if he turns out to be FIV+. Cats with FIV can live just as long as any other cat, they just have compromised immunity so should be seen by a vet asap for little things so they don't become full-blown. FIV can only be spread to other cats by actual sex (not an issue if he's neutered) and deep bites (not an issue if he's not a fighter).

FIV isn't a death sentence.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a test for FIV that gives results immediately. Why would the vet suspect FIV and not just do the test? Did you have bloodwork done to test for diabetes or thyroid?

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a test for FIV that gives results immediately. Why would the vet suspect FIV and not just do the test? Did you have bloodwork done to test for diabetes or thyroid?
Indeed; the test gives immediate results. My Missy was tested for FIV and for FeLV as well when her sister was diagnosed with FeLV.

The vet uses a small amount of blood and it takes only a few minutes to get the results.
It looks like this.

IMG_6094.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
No need to be devastated if he turns out to be FIV+. Cats with FIV can live just as long as any other cat, they just have compromised immunity so should be seen by a vet asap for little things so they don't become full-blown. FIV can only be spread to other cats by actual sex (not an issue if he's neutered) and deep bites (not an issue if he's not a fighter).

FIV isn't a death sentence.
He is neutered. And he is a friendly fella not a fighter.
All my cats are neutered/spayed.

Thank you for your info. So that just means that anything suspicious I should run him to the vet. :(

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
I was not the one who brought him earlier but this is also my question to my husband when he came back. The vet "suspected" he has FIV but for now the vet attributed Barley's weight loss to only lack of appetite (which he does not have! He seems to be hungry all the time!) so he gave only vitamins! The vet said that if Barley still continues to lose weight then I need to return him to the clinic asap. I was shaking my head in disbelief. I asked my husband earlier: "No tests done? Nothing at all??"
But anyway, I need to have to bring him to another vet asap. I cannot wait for 3-4 weeks! This is killing me.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
Indeed; the test gives immediate results. My Missy was tested for FIV and for FeLV as well when her sister was diagnosed with FeLV.

The vet uses a small amount of blood and it takes only a few minutes to get the results.
It looks like this.

View attachment 275273
Thank you for this info.

Exactly my thoughts. I said why would the vet "suspected" without testing? Does this vet knows how I am feeling right now? All worried and stressed, maybe for nothing? And if Barley is positive, I should know right away. I just need to take a day off and have him checked on another clinic.

Maria Bayote

Top Cat
Purraise
That seems the best option to know if FIV is causing Barley's weight loss.
The vet, or any other vet, should not voice our their "suspicions" without having to do any tests. Otherwise, it would just leave pet parents like me in under stress and panic, maybe unnecessarily.

I have now started researching about FIV online and although most of the signs are similar to what I observe on Barley, I would ignore them for now and wait for the tests to be done, to keep me from worrying too much.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If a vet suspects a disease which can be diagnosed with a simple test, such as FIV, it's completely ridiculous not to test for it. The exam for FIV is cheap, quick and has high sensibility, meaning it's almost impossible to get a false negative.
I would change vet as soon as possible.
Also, I don't think FIV is the most probable diagnosis, but you should test for it, since your cat used to be a stray. It's always better to know as soon as possible.