Possible Fip Diagnosis?

ScareBear23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've found many answers on these forums before, but I've just made an account to ask a question and to see if any one else had a similar experience.

My kitten, Mew, is almost 6 months old. January 3rd we brought her in for her last round of kitten shots. I had noticed some ear discharge and brought it up to the Dr. She swabbed it and tested it because it looked odd. Whatever test it was, came back negative so she wasn't worried.

Mew is good for a couple weeks. Then her ear starts to bug her more and she's not herself. She's eating less, sleeping more, and not playing. So I'm thinking she does have an ear infection.

We take her back in to the vet. She gets a long acting antibiotic shot, an oral dose of melaxicam, and her ears thoroughly cleaned. When the tech was done, Mew made sure to let it known how she felt with a big ol hiss!

We weren't able to be with her all day, but when we got home she was a lot perkier than she had been. We're thinking, "great! At least this has been taken care of."

But then, she starts getting lethargic again. So we get worried again. She's normally very active and up everyone's butt trying to get attention, or wrestling with her brother.

We take her back in a couple days after her last visit. At the last visit, we had realized she hadnt been tested for leukemia yet but weren't able to afford the test yet. We get the rest this time and it was negative. That's when the Dr starts to think it's FIP. She consulted with another Dr there who has more experience with FIP who agreed that's what the signs were pointing at.

We go back a few days after that for blood work. The Dr we had been seeing wanted to do a full panel, but the Dr on staff that day didn't think that would show more than what she'd look at on a pre-surgical panel. That showed low creatine (not worried because she's a kitten with low muscle mass) and a couple elevated results that she said points to Mew fighting something, and isn't abnormal if it's FIP. She also gets another dose of meloxicam to bring her 105 fever down.

So of course the more results my fiance and I get, the more devastated we get. We've had her since she was 5 weeks old and it's been less than a year since I lost my cat to kidney failure.

We're told to basically keep her comfy and as happy as we can and to call to get some meloxicam to bring home in a few days if we feel that will help.

For the 4 days after that visit, there was no real change. She was still mostly sleeping, but still eating. The first vet calls for an update then prescribes the meloxicam for us.

That was 6 days ago, and we haven't used a single dose. That afternoon she started perking back up. She's not hiding, is more active, comes for pets, was back on the cat tree, and even playing a bit! Every day since she's been a bit more like herself. She was even playing with her favorite toy almost like normal!!

Her and her brother get 1/4 can of friskys cat food every morning with some l-lsyine (he has herpes). That's been the routine pretty since before we got her. To make sure she's eating enough, we give her wet food whenever she asks. So that's every morning when my fiance wakes up, a few hours later when I get up, and in the evening when he gets home. Those have been the most consistent times, with a few more feeding on occasion. There's also 9 lives kibble and meow mix kitten kitten kibble available all day that she munches on if one of us isn't in the kitchen to ask for wet food.

The more active she gets and the more I look into FIP, the more I wonder if it may have been the wrong diagnosis. I have no history with it so I'm trying to not get my hopes up. But the only results I can find on Google is that supportive care for dry CUP can help symptoms, but that's not what she's getting.

All this is to ask, has anyone had or known of a FIP cat to go from sick to seeming better for a week? Or is it possible she just had something else?

We are thinking of taking her back next week if her upward trend continues, to see if her blood panel is closer to normal.

(Also, sorry if this is long & rambly, I've only had an hr of sleep)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ScareBear23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tl;Dr: brought 6 month kitten in for a possible ear infection, many visits later we're told it might be FIP. But now she seems to be getting better. Does the diagnosis seem right or wrong?

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats with FIP don't get better. Sometimes they last a little longer than others. I wouldn't rule out FIP at this point but it seems less likely given an apparent (at least partial) recovery. FIP is a diagnosis made by ruling out other conditions and then doing a necropsy once the cat has passed. So to me, nothing you mentioned screamed FIP. It could have been any one of a number of viral or bacterial infections Mew was working on.
Has Mew been spayed, btw? She is old enough to go into heat and since you said she hadn't been FeLV tested, I wondered if the spay had been done.