Possible FIP diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael driggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had noticed my 7 year old cat Roscoe losing weight for the previous few weeks,  so I started feeding him more than usual wet food that he liked trying to get his weight back up. then last Thursday I noticed he was not demanding food as usual, and would only eat 4 or five bites before walking away. This happened again on Friday and Saturday. I made an appointment with the vet and took Roscoe in on Monday.

The vet did blood work first and called me to tell me she suspected either cancer or FIP because of extremely low red blood cells, and extremely high white blood cells, (or the other way around). His liver and kidneys looked ok. She suggested x rays which she says she thought she found a mass and did a biopsy that turned out negative. Then she did an ultrasound. She the proceeded to tell me she was 95% sure it was FIP and i should think about putting him down.

She brought Roscoe out to me in the examining room and Roscoe jumped up next to me, started needing the bench and raising his tail while i was stroking his back. I told the Dr. that he didn't look like he was ready to go down just yet. We discussed medication for him in case it was some infection she couldn't diagnose. 

So I have him on 3 meds now.

Mirtazapine - Appetite stimulant.

Veraflox - an Antibiotic

Prednisone Prednisolone - Steroid.

I took Roscoe home Monday night and he fell asleep on the couch. Tuesday I gave him his medication and tried to feed him several times, again he would just eat 4 or 5 bites then walk away. water intake normal, using his litter box normal, I did notice some shakiness and a little off balance at times.

Wednesday (yesterday) morning, he actually ate more, maybe 10 bites of food in the morning, again at lunch and again at dinner. He seems much better, But isn't sleeping much at all. he wants to be cuddled, but is purring and seems more active.

Thursday morning (today) He ate even more food this morning even vocalizing that i wasn't fast enough to get the food to him, Seems better so far today than yesterday. Giving him his medication is getting harder as he is fighting me. He is taking a cat nap now, which is good. 

I understand, if this is in fact FIP, the meds may help him feel better short term. but I can expect a crash at some point too. I am really hoping this is not FIP. He does not show all the signs i have been reading up on, he does have weight loss and appetite was gone, he was a bit unbalanced but not bad. He did have quite a few flees, which we have treated and seems to be gone.

On a side note, I have 3 cats in all, Last week i noticed my cat Newport was sneezing more than usual. This is still going on, with him sneezing several times a day. Mooney my third cat has sneezed also but not as much. I don't recall this behavior before. 

This has me wondering if there is either something in my house that is causing them distress or that maybe the other cats are also infected.  

A little background on Roscoe:

Roscoe has always been a little bit stressed. I had to take him in for surgery when he was young to clear a blocked urinary tube. crystals i believe were the term used. The vet at the time said stress could be a factor.

I guess i am looking for support.

Thanks for listening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michael driggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to update a little. So far today, Roscoe has eaten a lot! He is asking for food every few hours. I am sure its the medication, but at least he is eating. I notice when he is resting or sleeping, he has some head twitching going on. Could this be from the medication?

Also, with the other two cats, one is sneezing, and i just noticed the other had watery eyes. Both seem to be sleeping more than usual, but are eating fine.

What are the odds all three cats have the same illness? And does it sound like FIP to you.

I am planning on driving down to the vet right now to get a copy of Roscoes blood work and talk to them about the other two to see what they say. 

If needed i can post more blood work here.

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome!

I am not an expert at FIP at all, as I've never dealt with it but I didn't want to leave your post ignored. Our cat came from a multi-cat household and shortly after he came to live with us, one of his furry flatmates got very sick, very quick and the vet thought it was FIP.  He went downhill fast, within a week and it was kinder to put him to rest. I did do some reading at the time, as she asked me to keep an eye out on our new cat. And no, this doesn't sound like your cat at the moment and I agree, let him dictate to an extent over his life - if he's happy eating and is purring for now, then of course, please keep him with you! He could have what they call 'dry' FIP where it develops a lot slower than the cat I knew, sorry to say, so it still may be FIP. The vet, did she test for coronavirus out of interest? Have you thought about a second opinion?

I do doubt if your other cats have FIP too, FIP itself isnt contagious tho the coronavirus is. You've probably read that it's a mutated form due to the cat's own body that makes the coronavirus turn into FIP. Luckily it's fairly rare and the chances of them all having it I would say are slim. I wonder if they have colds starting? That would be something they'd all get together.

A thought with the pills - have you someone to help? Our cat learned to hate it too and became very difficult so my partner and I work together now. I get behind our cat and hold him and his front paws down from the shoulder & top of his legs while my partner tips his head back. There's vids on youtube that taught me and we certainly have less scratches now!

Anyway, nothing I've written above is much help at all huh?! I wish you and your kitty all the very best, I hope it's a happier outcome than the vet thinks. Is that Roscoe in the pic? Gorgeous and such a great pose.

Hugs

mags

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that your kitty isn't feeling well! I actually posted a thread about my cat a few weeks back. Here is the link http://www.thecatsite.com/t/270999/help-possible-fip

When my vet called to tell me that she suspected FIP, I was devastated. Prior to her call, I had never even heard of FIP. I immediately did some research and I found this site. Thankfully, there are a ton of very knowledgeable members on here and they were able to help calm me down and provide me with lots of great info and advice. I found a new vet and he started my cat on famcilovir and a new antibiotic. Since that time, my cat is 100% back to normal. My new vet told me that the vast majority of the time, cats who are diagnosed with FIP do not have it. Most of the time, it is something else, usually a virus, that is treatable. The problem is that some vets cannot figure out the problem, so they immediately jump to a diagnosis of FIP. Did they take Roscoe's temp? Does he have a fever? diarrhea? You mentioned that some of your other cats have been sneezing, so it's quite possible that Roscoe has a URI. That is what happened with my cat. He got sick from my other cat and he stopped eating and he was acting totally "off". When cats develop a URI, they can lose their sense of smell, so food is unappealing to them. My vet also told me that FIP is very rare in older cats, it is much more common to see it in kittens. I would definitely get a second opinion!! Please come back with more updates/questions.As I said, there are so many great people on here who are willing to help.  I am hoping that Roscoe makes a full recovery.

michael driggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the reply. That is encouraging Mags! 

I found information about blood results but have no idea what to make of them. I did get a copy of Roscoes results and hope some experts can give me advice. I just paid 900 dollars to my vet Monday and really cant afford another 900 for a second opinion right now :(

michael driggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It appears the diagnosis is correct if i read the blood results correctly. according to Dr. Diane D. Addie if the albumin:globulin ratio is under 0.4 the chances are quite likely the cat has FIP

http://www.dr-addie.com/WhatIsFIP.htm#TPeffn

I am devastated.  I don't want to watch my poor boy deteriorate :(

albumin:globulin ratio

albumin:globulin ratio

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel badly not more people are answering you...I almost didn't because I don't have any expertise here at all. I hope the vet will speak to you (gratis) in person or over the phone and go over these test results in detail. I wish you and Roscoe the best.

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No particular experience with FIP. Looks like your kitty has moderate anemia from those values (probably low enough to expect some lethargy), and I see why you are concerned about that alb/glob ratio.

Since you have done the ultrasound and bloodwork etc., a 2nd opinion would not have to cost you that much money again. You can ask for copies of all of the tests (and you already have the bloodwork) as you have a legal right to that information. So if you went to a 2nd vet armed with the test results, in theory a 2nd opinion should cost you less than $100 - whatever the cost of a vet visit is in your neighbourhood.With the stakes so high, I would want a 2nd opinion if you can rummage up the $70 or whatever it would cost you.

I hope that this turns out to be something must less sinister than the vet is suggesting. I'd want to do more homework on globulin and anemia and such. There are a few other infections that can lead to high globulin - not sure about how the anemia might relate to the other issues.

I know you want support, and you have lots of support coming from me. You must be so worried and distressed. I wish that I knew more about this topic. I am usually pretty good at understanding blood panels but I am unsure of how to interpret globulin.

Like someone else said, FIP is much less common in older cats so that is something to hold on to.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

michael driggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope that this turns out to be something must less sinister than the vet is suggesting. I'd want to do more homework on globulin and anemia and such. There are a few other infections that can lead to high globulin - not sure about how the anemia might relate to the other issues.

Like someone else said, FIP is much less common in older cats so that is something to hold on to.

Best wishes.
Thank you for the reply. 

He did have fleas. I was told this can cause anemia. The age thing is what has me puzzled, 

What i don't understand is, If there is only a 93% chance of FIP (as referenced by other experts), Why not treat for the other 7% of possibilities? Since FIP is 100% fatal? 

I wish I knew what that 7% could be. 

Roscoe is up and down. He is eating a bit more, but is hiding under my bed most of the time. He will come out for an hour or two and sit on my lap just staring at me and listening to me talk to him. He doesn't feel as hot, he is much more vocal now when i am preparing his food, 

I am starting to worry about my other cats now. I am probably hyper-sensitive at this point, but 1 is sneezing, and the other has watery eyes. They don't appear to be sick in any other way though.

Thanks for the support everyone.

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I am starting to worry about my other cats now. I am probably hyper-sensitive at this point, but 1 is sneezing, and the other has watery eyes. They don't appear to be sick in any other way though.
It sounds like a cold.. please, if you're worrying that your other cats have FIP, please put your mind to rest - FIP itself isn't not contagious.  Keeping fingers crossed with Roscoe, please keep us updated?

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry you and Roscoe are going through this.
I have had cats with flea anemia and I have had to put a cat down because of probable FIP. Both present loss of appetite. You mentioned head shaking, I've seen that frequently from fever and fever often accompanies flea anemia. Sunny, my FIP girl, did not have an apparent fever. The most distinctive symptoms Sunny presented, in combination with the loss of appetite and lethargy, was an unkept coat and bloated belly.  Does Roscoe have a bloated belly? Going by your posts, it seems way too soon to be considering putting him down. With Sunny it happened so quickly, within 2 weeks, and was so obviously time, there was no choice.

There is not a definitive test for FIP. Blood tests can reveal indicators, but these can be the same indicators for other problems. @catwoman707 could you take a quick peek at these blood tests?

michael driggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Does Roscoe have a bloated belly? 
Thanks Susan.

No bloated belly. From what I've read, if it is the dry form the belly wouldn't be bloated?

When he comes out from hiding, besides being skin and bones and looking so fragile, he is loving and even wanted a belly rub today. he is eating fine, but also on appetite stimulant. 

What are the thoughts on doing another blood test 1 week after diagnosis? Should I wait? The vet did say she wanted to see how he was doing on Monday. 

I wish i could get my hands on some PI, my vets office said they never heard of it? (not my regular vet)

Last edited:

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not second guessing your vet, I was just wondering, do you know why the vet put Roscoe on the steroid? Do you know what possibility that is supposed to address or was that just to make him feel generally better? I saw in your posts that your other cats are sneezing and have watery eyes. Are those symptoms progressing? The wonderful news is that he's eating! Who cares if it's the appetite stimulant doing it, at this point it's about whatever works. Feed him as much and as often as he'll eat. I'm sure you are already doing that.

I looked back over my records for treatments regarding flea anemia. Over the last 3 years I've had 3 cats treated at 3 different vets (I go where I can get in when I need to get in). The most remarkable notes I made were for a 14 year-old presenting weakness, lethargy, weight loss, and loss of appetite. After exam and full blood panel he was treated for a bronchial infection, slight fever, and flea anemia with a flea topical, Polyflex injectable, and Clavamox. I noted a marked improvement in appetite and energy level, and lowered temperature the next day.

Please don't despair.  Another blood panel may give you some positive news if you're battling anemia or an infection.
Would you consider going to another vet for the next blood panel? Just mentioning it because It's concerning that the vet was encouraging you to put him down so quickly. I feel so badly for you. I wish there were a test to tell one way or the other about FIP, but there just isn't a lot known about it, period.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello, and I apologize for not seeing your thread sooner, as you need some support here.

I do have experience with FIP, @Susank521  thanks for pointing this out to me.

I have to cut this short for the moment but will get right back on it as soon as I am free okay?

Also, FIP is NOT contagious, just so you don't have that additional worry. Not possible.

Hang in there and I will review the bloodwork, etc.

michael driggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody! Hope to hear from you soon 707 

michael driggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm not second guessing your vet, I was just wondering, do you know why the vet put Roscoe on the steroid?
Thank you Susan. 

I honestly do not know why he is on steroids besides the fact that my vet told me to give him that. ?

(edit: she mentioned in case it wasn't FIP and was something they couldn't find")

I thought it was odd to have steroids and antibiotics together. but shes the Doc, not me. :(

Thanks for reply.

PS. Roscoe just spent 20 minutes listening to me talk and kneeding me on my lap. staring at me the whole time.

Last edited:

michael driggs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Roscoe (fip cat) kissing his step-brother yesterday. He does seem better after taking the meds....

Status
Not open for further replies.