Possible FIC Diagnosis in Senior Cat

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In December, I noticed my older cat Trixie (diagnosed with CKD) was dripping some blood, so took her in to get checked for a bladder infection or other problem. She was prescribed amoxicillin which seemed to help (the vet's office was unable to get a UA), but she started showing symptoms again today (leaking urine and licking herself). My Mom agreed with me, so I don't think I'm imagining things. She had a recheck appointment today, they were able to get a UA. The vet said that the number of white blood cells in her urine was higher than she would expect for the (small number) of bacteria, so suspected some FIC. She did suggest we continue the amoxicillin for another 14 days, and recheck in 2 weeks.

She talked to me a bit about the possibility that my younger cat Felix (3 years old, possible FIC diagnosis also as he had a blockage in the past) was stressing Trixie out. I think I've mentioned the relationship in the past, which can be a confusing one for me. While there is no bloodshed, Felix can make a nuisance of himself by stalking type behaviors (chasing Trixie from behind and acting like he's going to nip her hindquarters, or positioning himself in front of her like he's going to swat her). Other times they will share the same heating pad and will eat in front of each other. She recommended trying Multiple Cat Feliway, adding play time with Felix, and possibly an additional litterbox.

My question is this - How do I sort out what is fair to both cats. I'm am wanting to keep both cats, but only if they are happy and not stressed. There are already challenges with the separate feeding, prescription food, and with my sister's allergies (they are strictly garage-outdoor cats for now as my parents didn't want to have to shampoo our carpet again - a lot of work for them and they are in their 70s). I would be sad, but willing to give Felix back to the shelter, if it's not working to the happiness of both cats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I personally think that it isn't just Felix that causing stress for Trixie. The whole living situation you have them in doesn't sound optimal for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for your reply. Let me know if you have any further input on improving the situation, or what you would think needs done to be fair to them. I appreciate the feedback, even if it might not be what I wanted to hear.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can they be brought back inside and given their own room or two? The floor and furniture can be covered, and an air cleaner can help for allergies if you-all don't have one.
Have at least two litter boxes, and cat music can also help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do think that would be better for the both cats because they would get more attention from us and would presumably be less bored. That would be tricky in practice though, because of the nature of Anne's (sister's) allergies - she gets asthma, because of my parents being older, and because if I were to move out, I would have to question if I could afford to have a pet. I will keep that in mind when thinking about what's best for all concerned.