Possible FHS?

thehouseofgods

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ever since our precious Buddha left us, just over three years now, for the rainbow bridge... there was a hole in my heart...  

It took me some convincing (my husband was a little reluctant ) but we adopted a run of the mill mutt kitten from craigslist. It was obvious very early on that he definitely had some bengal in his ancestry...  He's my wild child :p and loves to play with water.

So naturally... when he acts a little nutty... I write it off as a typical bengal crazyness 

Recently i've been watching a lot of  "My cat from hell" I am very touched by his work....  he has saved so many lives. One case in particular stuck out for me and that was a cat who had FHS. I had no idea what this was at the time....

Fast forward to today, relaxing a little before work... and suddenly Calcifer, the newest member of the family who is about 1.5 years old now, started acting very strange....  and I realized i've seen this behavior before... only now do I realize what it could be. I recorded a video this morning of what I think was an 'episode'. 

It's going to be a while, at least 1-2 weeks before i can afford and/or arrange a ride, as my vet is little out of my way. But anyone that has experience with this would probably know what they are looking at. 

any help is appreciated. I'm thankful that over all he is a happy loving sweet little guy and turned out to basically be a therapy cat for my husband with severe anxiety and a heart condition.

Please note that this is my own video uploaded to my own channel 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TopP3w6VZhc 

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What exactly am I looking for?  I don't see anything out of the ordinary on your video.  Looks like what my cats do.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, if it is, I would say it's very mild.  I do see some skin rippling and excess tail swishing, but then he seems to get easily distracted by his grooming, which, as I understand it, isn't what usually happens.  (at least from what little I have heard about it)

I think we've got a few cat people here whose cats have it, so hopefully they'll be along to give their opinions.  But I heard on "my cat from hell", he was able to really help that cat from having too many episodes...by diet or something?  Have you checked into that, just in case?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see my cats do this when they are getting ready to play or have recently been to the litter box and had a good poop.  LOL

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Boo has FHS and this is very similar to what he does. Boo's tail doesn't whip around quite that much, but his back will twitch and roll like crazy. It starts out this way, but then he'll start running away and darting around like crazy as if trying to get away from it, and then he'll stop mid-run and frantically twitch and lick his back and flank. There are some cats that have FHS so bad that they self-mutilate, so relatively speaking, I guess this could be considered mild.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thehouseofgods

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you everyone , i've been watching things on youtube of diagnosed cases... and yea it looks pretty similar.  He had an episode before this and DID run from it/himself, but that clips is like three mins long .I will DEFF look into the diet thing... he's so picky and fussy i have to feed him separately anyway :p sticks his nose up at some wet foods... but will find week old unbuttered toast  and munch on it. Maybe he has an allergy?

I was with him most of the day today and i haven't seen an episode so if i'm lucky he's got a very mild case.  The other three kids are very quiet and laid back as well.... altogether a good bunch :D 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually the first to rule out is a flea allergy, a food allergy, and/or a contact allergy. Flea and food allergies can take awhile to subside, sometimes months, after making a change or treating the issue, so be patient and stick with it. Some say FHS is behavioral/anxiety/OCD and can be treated with calming agents such as Feliway diffusers or anti-anxiety meds. Some say FHS is neurological. That's the approach I'm currently taking with my Boo since I've exhausted all other scenarios.