Possible Cat Stared To Spray - Neutered 7 Year Old

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i am not sure if this belongs here or cat behaviour.

My youngest male cat aged 7 and 9 months, who is neutered with my other cats 3 boys and sprayed with my girl cat who is 2, has possibly started to spray.

One of my boys came down with a cold that wouldn’t go for 2 weeks, but was healthy otherwise, sneezed everywhere, I brought a black light to see where so I could get it cleaned.

I feed dry food indoors, but my 3 boys who eat wet food, refuse to eat wet food indoors for some unknown reason. So I feed my boys outside, and my girl cat indoors, but I am disabled and take heavy medication, my only job is to feed and clean cat bowls, but I sometimes don’t clear up after my boys wet food here and there.

This has resulted in an intact young male cat coming into my garden. Due to him being intact, he does spray. This really upsets/annoys him, to the point he tries to bury the cats spray, after a few minutes, if he can’t bury it, he will “spray” on top of it and around the garden.

Where buttons sprays, it is not visible with the naked eye, it is not wet. I am thinking a dry spray, which I know is normal. My plan is tonight I will feed my cats later, they won’t like is as I feed them at dusk. I will go out in the dark, with the black light, I will note where there is obviously a spray area keeping my cats in. Buttons will go out and “spray” as he normally does, I should be able to see if he is spraying or if it is a dry spray.

What should I do if Buttons is spraying?
How do I stop this other cat coming into my garden?
How is the best way to clean the spray as I have never had a cat that does?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's spraying (or fake spraying) outside, I don't see the problem. That's how cats mark their territory. It's generally only considered a problem if he sprays indoors.

Is there a cat rescue organization in your area? They may be able to get the young tom neutered, or place him in a home if he's friendly.

Last edited:

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with willowy as long as he is spraying outside then it is ok continue to let buttons mark his territory it is their instinct. If the tom does not belong to you maybe you can contact a friend or family member and have them take him to a low income spay/neuter clinic and make sure you tell them he is feral because if they think he belongs to someone they will charge full price. Put an ad up on your local website for advertising animals like craigslist or even websites on your computer that someone in your area may be willing to take him and give him a new home. If buttons does spray in the house then baking soda and peroxide will get rid of the smell best of luck we are here if you need us keep us posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only reason why I am asking is, my sister has a 6 month old baby girl (who loves cats) and she is trying to crawl. She will be outside often as summer is on its way, and if the tom cat does spray on the plants/her area, I don’t want her to put it in her mouth. We are currently baby proofing the garden, but a cat that is spraying in our garden is a problem.

I am 95% sure this tom cat does have a home, they have just not neutered him, I would guess he is no older than 5-6 months, then again my cats are big cats - average weight about 8kg but they are not overweight.

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe your sister can ask around the neighborhood and see where this tomcat lives if he is someones pet then they need to be responsible for him they need to neuter him and keep him home it is so dangerous for fur babies to be outside wouldnt want anything bad to happen to the little guy. Yes that would be bad if your niece were to come into contact with it i am not sure how to get rid of the smell outside other than removing the cats that are spraying if they are spraying in the yard then they are probably spraying the whole yard. I would try and find the owner of the fur baby and ask them nicely to keep him out of your yard and if nobody claims him then you will have to take the necessary steps to hopefully get him neutered or try and find him a home

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had a word with my mum, she said he belongs to 2 boys who’s mum is teaching the boys the right way to look after cats. Being responsible for the cat fully financially. They use their pocket money to buy cat food, pet insurance, litter etc they said that they will have enough money to get him done at the end of April.

I would help but I don’t work and have 5 cats to look after as I have autism, my cats are my “support dogs”.

However I used the black light everywhere where buttons could spray indoors. I am pleased to say there is no evidence of anything, apart from what I cleaned up after bollo’s sneezing. However outside there is very little evidence of any cat spray. I have found a few drops here and there, but too far apart to worry about it.

This afternoon, I was outside with my mum, and buttons sprayed, it’s nearly dark so I can see how much. So why did he start? He was in our front garden, where the other tom cat cannnot get to, so was he really spraying? It was just as I called my cats for food. I know it sounds strange but Bollo, Taffy and Buttons hold in their pee, until I call them for food, they all pee as I prepare the food, so could he have a full bladder and couldn’t hold on?

I know when buttons fell of the shed, and hit his head as he twisted to land on his feet (as I called him for food). When we rushed him to the vet, he thought buttons had a huge bladder problem, as his bladder was so full they thought he had a blocked bladder, they squeezed and he wouldn’t pee. I called him for food, and he just went right there...

I have a special whistle, which when I make this sound, my cats know it’s dinner time. I don’t have a tool to help me whistle, I don’t blow air out of my mouth like a normal whistle. Nobody can replicate it.

The only thing that showed up on the black light indoors is where my dog who died last November, rubbed his face against things, used his nose to open doors, it’s too hard emotionally to clean up.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't find any evidence of his spraying, maybe he's just "fake spraying". I have a few who will do that---they back up and wiggle their tails but nothing comes out---maybe it's just symbolic or something.

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you ever had a spray bottle when it’s either brand new or empty, you get that very small spray? I would say that is the amount that came out.