Possible breeding

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, yes it's me again LOL. We just got home on Saturday night from our trip to Mexico. On Monday, we noticed that Molly's boobies are hot pink and have grown to a size where my husband is now convinced she is pregnant.

You may remember last month I thought Molly was pregnant, vet confirmed it, then took her for xrays around her 50th day and no kittens were visible. Her boobies never looked like they do now. When my other female got pregnant, her boobies basically popped right out and were hot pink. Molly's aren't as big as Bonnie's were, but I am trying to remember that like humans, no two are alike.

I am so hesitant to think positively that she is indeed pregnant this time. I hate to look like a fool. All who know me know that I am pretty good with knowledge about cats, but this last incident has me so paranoid now. You know the saying, "once bitten, twice shy".

I know what I see in her boobies , she is getting a little rounder in the belly. She has also become even MORE lovable than she normally is, and for a Sphynx, basically she clings to us like velcro LOL

I don't wanna get my panties in a knot just yet. We have another trip (hubby's work) at the end of Feb, and by the estimates, she would be due when we're gone. I cannot not be here for delivery. Told hubby wait a couple weeks when see more growth in her abdomen and then we'll decide what to do.

I am wracking my brain to figure out if there is any other reason for her boobies to turn pink and get bigger, and I can't think of any other reason than pregancy.

She did seem like she was in heat the day I took her to get her xrays. I didn't see any breeding between her and Monty since beginning of Nov....arrrgh!!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why wouldn't you know if they bred or not?

It's very soon from the last time, hope things work out ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, the reason I don't know positively is that I did not witness anything in the breeding sense as we thought she was pregnant already. It was the day of the xray that she was acting as though she was in heat. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I'm really thinking the vet lied to me to get me to spend more money on tests which of course I did.

Currently, I don't have my cats separated for timed breedings. Monty is just a year now and still acts sometimes like he hasn't figured it all out. When it's time, I will separate them during periods of heat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing is you cannot let the males just run with the females. Females are induced ovalators and they can breed even if not in heat by a determined male. When you don't know exactly when and if they are bred, its hard to tell when the kittens are due; if they are too early/late, etc.

I made the mistake of allowing my male Rex to run all the time since he didn't spray. I never noticed him actually breeding my female, but she did get pregnant and she was not in heat. Unfortunately she only had one kitten and it died. I learned my lesson.

I do hope the girls are pregnant, but they usually don't know till 3-4 weeks after being bred.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she is preg.
Are you coming to so cal for your husbands work?
I might be going to the Arcadia TICA how in feb.
It all depends.
I am really have bad luck with spynx right now.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, that's just it GK, I just assumed that I could separate the females when they are in active heat. Monty is such a love bug that separating him full-time would kill me.

I know that I must be responsible in my breeding practices and with Monty being so young yet, I really didn't think any harm could come from him mingling normally.

On the boobie front, I know that at 3 weeks is when they pink up, and she's about 3 weeks now from when she went for her xrays. I have the receipt, just need to look at it LOL.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Jacky, the upcoming trip is to the Dominican. If we miss this trip, I just told hubby I'd love to go to Cali again to visit his colleague and wife. My son thinks he moving to Northern Cali in March, so you never know

Sorry you're having such a hard time with your sphynx endeavour. It will happen, don't worry.

I would love for Molly to have kittens. I am dying without kittens in the house, as it's been over a year since my last litter was born.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do understand. Tinker was such a love bug that I hated to cage him. We wound up spaying her and eventually just neutering and placing Tinker when we moved to MN. We only could bring one cat with us and my son wanted to bring our white Rex that he grew up with and showed.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK, I took this pic last night and wanted to share. Please give your opinion. To me, her boobies indicate she is pregnant. Hubby is even more convinced. I told him I'm scared to be positive LOL

I know, she needs a bath. She is going to get one very very soon.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wellington, that's what we think as well. Thank you for chiming in, your expert opinion is always appreciated!! She would be due March 2nd and we wouldn't be home until the 5th. I think we're cancelling our trip, but hubby said he'd like to wait a couple more weeks. This trip is paid for by his work, and I still am trying to convince him to go without me. He said "i'm not going there without you".

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks preg this time.
That is how Meekos nipples were even though she only had one kitten.
What part of Nor Cal woud don move to?
It would be great if you can come to the TICA Annual in Sept.
Jazzy Cats is putting it on.
They do great shows.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If need be, can you leave her with the vet or a vet tech to monitor her while you are on the trip? I know you'd like to be there to see it happen, but at least she would be in good hands for any problems.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've temporarily come up with a new plan. I called my good friend who works at a vets office and we discussed my dilemma. She said it would be best for Molly to remain home where she's comfortable and at ease. Since my Dad will be here (not to babysit the kids but to ensure they eat and go to school) he will be able to monitor her and if she does have them, to ensure all is well with mom and babies. She will be confined to the cat room, so she should remain safe. I will have email and cell phone contact with him whenever I need it, so I can help him along the way.

My friend also suggested the day before we leave to get an xray done (no, not at the same place as before) not only to see how many possible kittens are visible, but to see the placement. The vet I see will be able to tell me how close she is to delivering by seeing how close they are to the birth canal. Knowing the number of kittens will be useful because if she doesn't deliver them all and stops labour, my Dad can take her in to the vet.

Gaaaaahhhhh, this is just craziness LOL. I have been on such an emotional rollercoaster for so long, I'm about to collapse! LOL

Thanks guys, for listening to me rant. It feels good.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Susan,
When my Coco was preg we did not know the due date and we did the ultraound.
It showed 3 kittens but there were 5.
The vet figured she was due around July 26th.
She had August 1rst.
I know how happy you are and hope it all goes well.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

Wellington, that's what we think as well. Thank you for chiming in, your expert opinion is always appreciated!! She would be due March 2nd and we wouldn't be home until the 5th. I think we're cancelling our trip, but hubby said he'd like to wait a couple more weeks. This trip is paid for by his work, and I still am trying to convince him to go without me. He said "i'm not going there without you".
Thank you! I learn everyday from this forum and it's helped me out in many sticky situations. My Fluffy cat is due on the 1st of March and this is her 2nd litter - she had one nipple removed due to complications with the last birth but her nipples look exactly the same as Molly's!

You said you wanted kittens? I've got 11 you can take off my hands

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wellington, as I said to my friend today, I do know a lot about cats/kittens, but I'm always learning. Molly has sure put me to the test though, and I've felt embarrassed many a day here and at the vet. I feel like a complete idiot for the last falsie, but I've learned a lot from that experience.

Now hubby and I are discussing things, but he won't discuss anything about the trip until she is 5 weeks along...so only a week and a half! I'm sure by then she'll have grown more of a tummy and we'll know for sure. He doesn't want to think about it until HE feels he is absolutely certain, then he said we'd worry about it at that time.

Wellington, I would LOVE to take some kitties off your hands!! I am so dying to have kittens in the house. I mean, it's not like my 8 cats aren't enough, but I just want newborns to raise. It's what I'm supposed to do in life.

I guess I'll just chew my fingernails off in the meantime LOL

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't go away - I couldn't go, would spend the whole time worrying. Besides, my mentors would kill me

Jacky, the ultrasound kittens/due date error is extremely common.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Susan - I know what you mean about needing newborns. I feel the same way. When I had my problem litter in November and had to take my last surviving baby to my Nana's it broke my heart - my house was empty. Now my house is teeming with life and the pitter patter of little PAWS.

I went away for New Years when I had two cats due
but Flutterby ended up having hers on the 29th (we left on the 30th) and Tales had hers a week after I got back (both were with the studs for over 10 days *sigh* But I'm lucky to have a Nana who has been breeding for 50+ years too!

DON'T feel embarrased about the falsie - it happens to the best of us and when they showing all the signs? It's happened to me lots of times
and when Flutterby first got mated in September I went
she's pregnant but turns out nope she wasn't!