possible birthmark??

tray1976

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Neko just turned 2 years old yesterday. This morning I noticed a new dark brown/black marking near the entrance to his ear. It is smooth and flat and no open lesions. I called the vet and they cant see him for 3 weeks due to the covid situation. I have emailed them a photo but havent heard back. Out of curiosity, has anyone had a cat with a birthmark? I'm hoping this is the case with Neko but of course I am worried that it may be something worse...

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say this is NOT a birthmark snce it just appeared and your cat is two years old. Birthmarks are just as they sound. Appear at birth.

Cats sometimes do have pigmentation of the skin changes though, so it may not be anything to worry about. Best to have it checked out though, as you are, just to make sure.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens said, cats can and do develop pigmentation changes, especially around the ears. It isn't often an issue, but can be. What I would do it to watch it, perhaps take a photo of it every few days (4-5 maybe), so that you know for sure if it starts to change in appearance. And that photographic record will help the vet when you can see him/her.