Possible Asthmatic Cat ... What Should I Know For Treatment?

kittyqss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

My cat displays symptoms of asthma, and over the past couple weeks it's gotten way more frequent, about a couple times a week) to maybe a couple times a day, however the duration of the symptoms isn't. The classic hairball/asthma debate where cat owners say the cats crouch like hacking a hairball but nothing comes up.

My cat breathes loudly sometimes (especially during resting/laying down, but not always), has these asthmatic-like attacks and then immediately goes back to playing with no signs of heavy breathing, doesnt open her mouth...She's almost a 4 year old cat and I adopted her back in the summer, in the notes there were no noticing of asthma!! I'd imagine when she was at the shelter or if she was in a home they'd catch that.

A couple months ago she stopped drinking a lot of water and as a result got really constipated, and the symptom I saw was her eating 25-50% of her food I give her, when she normally does 75%+. Changed the diet, got more rigorous with cleaning of her bowls so I clean them every day, and it hasn't been a problem. While they were testing her, they did notice she had slight bronchitis or asthma...Recent bloodwork however came back fine, doctors said looking at her bloodwork they'd suspect nothing wrong.

So this leads me to now, where the symptoms are becoming more frequent. I plan on bringing her in soon, but I don't know what to expect. If this seemingly mild case of asthma can be treated by a few drops of some sketchy remedy (Prana Pets holistic dog and cat medicine all natural remedies) then great. But it seems like this reduces the symptoms but doesn't stop them.

If its asthma, could it be some allergy in her food? Could it be dander/dust in my apartment? Is this something that I can be like "If I remove the allergen trigger then all will be well!" or is it something more ominous like "she will need to be on some asthma medication for all of her life".

I realize I can ask a vet all of this, but I don't have the kind of money to spend $1000+ on a vet trip as a grad student just getting by.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You could call a vet as you mentioned, but you might also try eliminating dust and allergens from the environment and see how that goes. Is the litter you're using dusty? Do you use spray cleaners (bath, kitchen, furniture, window), store bought air fresheners, scented candles, do you use a dry cleaner re; the chemicals, do you live in an area with a lot of pollution where an electric air cleaner might help? And you're right, it could also be food related and a switch up there might help. Thank you for caring about you furbaby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyqss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The litter actually might be more dusty. I moved from scoopy away to arm & hammer (think those are the brand names) and although Im not sure how long ago I switched (maybe 1-2 months ago), the past few weeks the symptoms have increased. I am not especially good on vacuuming my place and dusting, so I can try to do that once a week. I have the window open and the mesh screen on, helps make it not so stuffy. I read online that scents like air fresheners aren't good and many other scented things so I got rid of them. Would an air purifier be a worthy purchase? I looked online and one was like 150$ on amazon, highly reviewed. Although that money isnt really an issue, it might be better served elsewhere.

I read that Worlds Best Cat Litter is reallllly good for not being dusty and was recommended for cats with respiratory problems, so I plan on getting that and switching out. Heard its a good bit stinky for poops which is a huge bummer but if it helps it helps I guess. If its too much smellwise I might switch back to Scoop away.

Hopefully these problems arent exacerbated by me not being good on household chores, I live in a studio apartment so maybe that makes it even worse that dust etc is all confined. Could be just a sign like the constipation from me not being super diligent with cleaning her water daily compared to 2-3days (probably tasted stale or old) - as in, I need to get my shit together. Love the furbaby, hope I'm not the worst owner for her b/c household chores are the last thing on my mind

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
There might be an air purifier for less on eBay, and it sounds to me like you're on the right track with your thinking about keeping her water fresh and using a clean bowl for it and food, dusting (a damp microfiber cloth or a Swiffer duster) and if you see that the new litter is still dusty I've had some luck combining a clumping litter with a corncob litter. I've also found for my big guy that introducing some Primal raw as an additional food to his regular diet brought the smell factor down quite a lot. Best of luck I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cat has been crouching and exhibiting hairball like symptoms then please do the responsible thing and get him to a vet. I teach masters level students as well as doctoral students--and actually was one not too terribly long ago--so I know the financial challenges. Nevertheless, there's honestly nothing you can do on your own that will take the place of a medical diagnosis. My cat Atticus has asthma and it's not that big of a deal. He uses an inhaler once a day and hasn't had an attack in a long time. Without his inhaled corticosteroids though he would be in very very bad shape. As his vet said, try running bleachers with your nose taped and a small drinking straw in your mouth as your only air supply.

Also, if it does turn out that your cat has asthma you really will have to mend your ways as far as housekeeping is concerned. Even if he isn't diagnosed with asthma it's clear that he has some type of allergy for which dust and dirt are not going to be beneficial.

Keep us up to date and good luck!

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try to elminate allergens in your home by cleaning often, using an air purifier, etc. That may help some but oftentimes cats may still need medical treatment such as inhaled medicine. This web site has more info about the various types of asthma treatments: Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - your comprehensive resource since 2001

Are there any low cost vet clinics in the area? Those are more affordable than a full service vet hospital. When you have an established relationship with a vet you often don't need to bring a cat in every time there is an issue. Many vets are happy to take a phone call or email and determine from there if they need to see the cat for a full exam.

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
Financial Aid for Pets

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did have a cat that hacked all the time when i used clay litter. My husband who has asthma also had a problem with the litter if he was in the room with it. I went for several months trying to find a dust free litter, lol i think i have tried every litter that is currently made :) I finally found the two i like best, no dust, light weight and easy to use, plus the cats like them. The grass litter i had to play with a bit, i run two boxes with it, some of my cats like it deep, like 4 inches, other cats only want about 2 inches. so i give them both. They would not use most silica litters, but they love this one, very fine and sandy, soft on the feet i guess. I love these two litters, husband happy with it, so are the cats.

Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Respiratory Relief Silica Gel Cat Litter, 7.5-lb bag

Pioneer Pet SmartCat All Natural Cat Litter

But i would also get the vet to check the cat as soon as possible. Parasites can also cause problems with the lungs, as can many other things.. Until you know exactly what the problem is you cant really fix it.