Poss Eye Infection - How Long To Wait Before Taking To Vets?

AriSocks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my boys has a possible eye infection. Eye looks slightly pink and its runny but its clear discharge (with 'eye boogers' after naps!) He seems to be himself, eating like a piggy, drinking, playing and getting into trouble. He looks like hes holding his eyes shut slightly but they dont seem very swollen.

Ive been told that sometimes eye problems like this clear up if they are mild. But i'm obviously a bit concerned that he could get sicker. I would just take him to the vet,but he's timid with new people and environments (and for various reasons i also have a finite fund put aside for vet care that i need to spend wisely for the next few months). I will do whats best for him but if you more experienced cat owners say its ok to wait and see, then thats what i'll do.

Thanks

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is not better soon, maybe 24 hrs, i would take him to the vet. could be nothing, but may be an infection and he will need eye drops or antibiotics. He may even have a foreign object in the eye that you cannot see. Eyes are important, so if in question, i would get him checked. Best of luck :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Terramycin ointment on my cat's eyes. He had clear runny discharge that dried to brownish eye boogers. But of course, I'm not a vet. I just happened to try this and it worked. I bought it online, but I think it's sold at Tractor Supply too.