Positive vibes for King Arthur needed please

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing medically wrong, and I am not sure anything is really wrong at all... But he seems jumpy and unsettled lately.  It's so unlike him!  He's usually the most confident and spoiled rotten kitty you will ever meet. He is still cuddle bug and purring happily most of the time but he is easily spooked lately... A few months ago we had a tornado here and he had to get out (in his crate) in the high winds, rain and hail.  He seemed upset, as did the girls after... So I got them all the calming collars and plugged in some feliway (eventhough I've never had much luck with feliway)  but they all seemed to get better and it calmed their nerves. 

Well, the past couple of weeks, along with sleeping with his eyes open, I've noticed King Arthur just seems jumpy and stressed out.  I could still smell the calming collar so I know he can, too.  I've taken him to the vet.  He is perfectly fine.  We may never know what has him upset.  But the vet thinks this new sleeping with his eyes open could be due to being unsettled, as well. 

Things seem fine and normal with all the girls.  No problems there.  I haven't changed anything around the house.  (King Arthur doesn't like change so much at first.)  I am baffled.  Positive vibes for my boy that he destresses and realizes everything is OK.  Thanks!!

Last edited:

curiosityscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My very best wishes to the both of you! My cats went through Hurricane Katrina (and bugging out to an alternate location locally), and my youngest still isn't over it. When he knows a storm is coming, he hides, plain and simple, especially if he hears thunder. There is the Tree vs. Bush cat theory, that says to provide them either something to crawl into/under (bush cat) or a clear unobstructed path to get high up/place to roost (tree cat). Either path, that caters to the individual cat's personality, will help the cat feel more safe and secure (it makes sense to me, some people rather hide vs, some that like a clear line of sight). My youngest Stilpho is a bush cat, but would be a tree cat if he had a place to go. My oldest 21yrs is a tree turned bush cat only due to age. So, I hope King Arthur gets over his stress and relaxes again. He may do just that, but it may take him a while. All I can recommend is that you stay calm, because I'm a firm believer that our feline companions pick up on our own "vibes", so keep calm, relaxed, and as non-stressed as you can. Oh, another thing, you may want to give him an old shirt or something of yours so he can sleep surrounded by your scent (and a feeling of safety). I'm fixing to try the raw diet thing for Socks, I hear it also helps in a lot of other areas like personality and not just diet.Good Luck to you and King Arthur! (And the rest of the clan), From Stilpho, Socks-ie, and Me! *smiles*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 There is the Tree vs. Bush cat theory, that says to provide them either something to crawl into/under (bush cat) or a clear unobstructed path to get high up/place to roost (tree cat). Either path, that caters to the individual cat's personality, will help the cat feel more safe and secure (it makes sense to me, some people rather hide vs, some that like a clear line of sight).
King Arthur is definitely a tree cat... He has to see everything going on.  He doesn't like crouching.  He doesn't like storms now, either but he wants to see what is going on... He doesn't hide.  He just watches and meows alarmed.  I calm him by scratching the back of his ears and saying "It's OK, Arthur.  It can't get you."  I don't know what's up right now... It's not serious I don't think but he just seems very easily startled lately?  I may never know what caused it but hopefully he gets over it soon!

curiosityscat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds weird, but you may want to hold off on the comforting while he is upset, and just comfort when he is clam, because otherwise, you are reinforcing the skittishness when you are (rewarding him) with comfort. Hard not to comfort him, but instead of petting him, you could just talk to him calmly instead. Once he has calmed down, that is when it is time to praise him. Just my own opinion. And I have a very skittish cat (hates thunder, hates the sound of a frying/popping pan, or plastic being ipened, definitely on mortal komat with the vacuum..that is when he is not hiding from it.. I hope king Arthur gets back to normal soon! You're right about maybe not knowing, you never know what he's sensing currently. As there can be atmospheric pressure changes he's feeling, or heck, there could even be minor seismic activity currently that you just can't feel..*shrugs*Regardless, I hope he starts to feel more at ease, for both your sakes! *smiles*

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, we haven't had a storm in a while.  So that can't be it.  Thanks anyway, though.  It's not a severe problem.  He's his normal happy self except that he seems to be a little scatterbrained and jumpy lately.  Usually only for a second or so... Then he's fine again.  His hearing seems normal.  As does his vision.  Not sure what caused it.  It's only been in the last 2 weeks or so, too. 

chat2008

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vibes coming your way! When our sweet resident tabby gets unnerved for whatever reason (eg commotion from a work crew out kn the street, or our ongoing adoption/foster introduction of a newbie) we try and give her extra massage/grooming with her favorite brush and it puts her into a sleepy trance, kneading away and often falling asleep- whatever it takes. Hope things settle quickly.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Chat2008!!  Most of the time, he is his cheerful and bratty self.... Like today.  But, out of the blue, he'll get all weird and freaked out about something?  Usually just for a couple of seconds... But still it has me alarmed.  It's not the girls.  Usually no one is bothering him when this happens.  I'm almost thinking he got bit by a bug or a bad experience with a bug maybe?  It's moth and bug season bad right now... And when I have to leave the outside light on for a even a minute, it attracts a whole bunch.  Well, when I go in, of course some will follow me.  It's a game for them to see how many they can catch!!  I have noticed he isn't doing that any longer either? 

Also he's started this really deep sleeping where he often has his eyes open and it's as he's waking up or a few minutes or so after he's awake that he acts really freaked out, too.