Positive allergy update

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
So a while ago I posted a picture of Miso my cat who had a small wound on her head. Long story short it got worse and we went to the vet. Turns out she had food allergies. I was so upset because everywhere on the internet people say that food allergies in cats are the worst and that it can take months or even years to figure out what they're allergic to.
Well we switched to the food she got in the shelter, after one and a half month we still saw her scratching and grooming a lot. No new wounds though! But since it was very expensive food we thought we'd try something different. So we looked online and got a German food brand that only has fish oil, fish and potato starches. So nothing that was in her old food like grains, corn or chicken. It's affordable and she's been on it for a few weeks now and she seems to be doing great! (Besides her poops smelling sour now hahah!)
Of course we'll still have to figure out where the allergies came from but I thought it was so nice that it only took like 2 months for Miso to feel better.
So throughout all of the horror stories of how long it takes to get rid of allergies I thought I'd share this positive story :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's nice to hear from someone that has had better luck at resolving a food allergy than, as you said, so many struggle to do! Over time, maybe you can find some novel proteins (rabbit, duck, venison - even beef) to try with her, sans the grains, corn, and chicken of course. It's always nice to have a back up or two should anything happen to the food she is able to eat now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's nice to hear from someone that has had better luck at resolving a food allergy than, as you said, so many struggle to do! Over time, maybe you can find some novel proteins (rabbit, duck, venison - even beef) to try with her, sans the grains, corn, and chicken of course. It's always nice to have a back up or two should anything happen to the food she is able to eat now.
Unfortunately rabbit, duck and venison in pet food are not really a thing around where I live. They're not even really thinks we eat haha! I'd have to import it I think. But I'll definitely try some other brands of cat food with more fish based products to see if there's more out there. And maybe try beef indeed, however most brands just say meat products and then don't specify what type of meats sadly.