Pork with a little salt added

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at the grocery store, getting some things for myself when I decided I might as well take the leap and get Grim some *real* raw. (NV rabbit doesnt even look like meat anymore to me.)
I didnt even know what I was looking for honestly. Im still really nervous about his allergies, so my 3 choices are fish, rabbit and pork. I found a place to supply me with some rabbit irl, but I have to wait another two weeks before I can even order it and then its another week before it arrives. I know about the online stores, but I like to try everything for real before I do that. I guess Im old fashioned? :p

Anywho, I found some pork neck meat with the bones cut up into small enough pieces that he'd be able to chew on them. Not big enough to eat though, I think. It was only $2 and something for 8-10 of them and said it had 4% or less salt solution added. Obviously that's not the ideal, but I thought if it's only for testing the waters and seeing if he'll actually eat raw meat, it couldn't hurt him.. right?

I also bought a super small cornish hen because I've been told cats with allergies can sometimes eat that meat when raw. I don't know when I'll be brave enough to cut that up, but it was also only $2-something, so I just went for it.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do buy "enhanced" pork because it's all I can find. . .but I don't feed my cats all raw, just a bit every night. And info on how much sodium is safe for cats is highly variable :/. I wouldn't think pork necks would be enhanced? But idk.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally.... I wouldn't feed.... But that's me.
Minka, do you have any store that is more like a natural food store around you? That's the only place I can find pork that is not enhanced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry guys, I was originally typing this on my phone as I was leaving the store but my phone decided to just.. not let me type anymore so I couldn't finish.
I edited the original post to how I wanted it to be.

Last edited:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina - I do have a natural food store near me, very close actually. That's where I'm getting the rabbit from. However their meat is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. I *do* spoil my cat, but buying from there would be over the top. xD

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Carolina - I do have a natural food store near me, very close actually. That's where I'm getting the rabbit from. However their meat is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. I *do* spoil my cat, but buying from there would be over the top. xD
You don't need to buy all the meat in there - I don't..... The only meat I buy is the pork..... as anywhere else will be enhanced and you really don't want to feed enhanced.
Since Pork is not the only meat you are feeding, it is part of your transition and pork, no matter where you buy is one of the cheapest meats, should not make that bad of a dent in your budget IMHO.

Last edited:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't need to buy all the meat in there - I don't..... The only meat I buy is the pork..... as anywhere else will be enhanced and you really don't want to feed enhanced.
Since Pork is not the only meat you are feeding, it is part of your transition and pork, no matter where you buy is one of the cheapest meats, should not make that bad of a dent in your budget IMHO.
Yea, I know you only meant the pork, but even their pork is expensive. They cater to a very select niche of people with lots of money or something. :lol:
Right now he's getting a rotation of Before Grain Salmon, Natural Balance Salmon, NV Raw Rabbit (which has pork in it), and now this pork. I bought the hen, but I really don't know at what point I'll feel comfortable enough to give it to him.
P.s. I'm currently out of work, so my budget is, well, small.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not feed pork then. Either feed not enhanced or not feed at all - that's my take. Unless you are feeding a tiny piece with another meat to make a meal.... But I would never feed entire meals of enhanced pork, and have that in my rotation. Nope. The sodium content is probably on the hundreds, and that's not good IMHO. I have never seen enhanced pork with Sodium lower than 260 - and that was the lowest.

The hen.... What is the problem with the hen? You are afraid of allergies?

I hear cats who have allergies do well on hen.
I get your reservations..... Bugsy is chicken intolerant too.... Was, I should say.... It took me a long time to be comfortable with trying adding it to his raw diet....
Until that I did, and he was fine... BUT only with cage free vegetarian fed chicken! All others still make him sick :dk:

Last edited:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not feed pork then. Either feed not enhanced or not feed at all - that's my take. Unless you are feeding a tiny piece with another meat to make a meal.... But I would never feed entire meals of enhanced pork, and have that in my rotation. Nope. The sodium content is probably on the hundreds, and that's not good IMHO. I have never seen enhanced pork with Sodium lower than 260 - and that was the lowest.

The hen.... What is the problem with the hen? You are afraid of allergies?
No, it was way lower, only like 60mg. Most pork has around 12% solution (from when I looked around today), but these were only 4%.
I wasn't planning on feeding it as a whole meal or anything, I just wanted to have a meat to try with him. He's been hungry ALL the time lately (he's going to the vet for that one Monday) and staring at/trying to steal raw meat from the counter. I wanted to see if he would actually eat raw, or if he just wants everything we have. :lol3:

He's allergic to most everything. Chicken especially. I assume cornish hen is basically the same thing (protein wise). I'm afraid that I'll give him a piece and he will itch all over and mow down all the fur on his legs and tummy that take weeks to grow back.
BUT.. I've heard that raw doesn't always have the same effect. So, I bought it in the hopes that maybe some day I'll be brave enough to use it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it was way lower, only like 60mg. Most pork has around 12% solution (from when I looked around today), but these were only 4%.
I wasn't planning on feeding it as a whole meal or anything, I just wanted to have a meat to try with him. He's been hungry ALL the time lately (he's going to the vet for that one Monday) and staring at/trying to steal raw meat from the counter. I wanted to see if he would actually eat raw, or if he just wants everything we have. :lol3:
He's allergic to most everything. Chicken especially. I assume cornish hen is basically the same thing (protein wise). I'm afraid that I'll give him a piece and he will itch all over and mow down all the fur on his legs and tummy that take weeks to grow back.
BUT.. I've heard that raw doesn't always have the same effect. So, I bought it in the hopes that maybe some day I'll be brave enough to use it.
If it is 60mg, then it is ok; you are fine.
Yep, you will only know when you try hun.... Raw is a gamble, but that's correct, usually kitties are fine :nod:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think I will buy them again, but I was so excited, I couldn't help but go ahead and give him one. (Note to self: you have no idea how to cut meat.)

HE LOVED IT. :clap::clap::D :banana2:

He didn't even hesitate or push it around or lick it listlessly like most cats do, he just CHOWED DOWN.
I'm so happy I could cry. :') :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:
It's like he was meant to do this all along! :idea2: ;)

I put him in my tub so the lighting isn't the best and he's a bit camera shy but OH WELL. :D

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

After trying to dig the packaging out of the trash can and poking around to see if there was anymore, he's now passed out on my bed. I think he's happy. :) :) :) :)

YAY

Edit: It just hit me this is his FIRST piece of raw.... EVER. I'm so giddy!! skfjalke.whfglikewgfkrehw

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
(NV rabbit doesnt even look like meat anymore to me.)
:yeah: I second that one. My cats used to love the NV rabbit. Not anymore, they turn their noses up at it for some reason.

CONGRATS on your boy eating his first piece of raw meat!!! I think we get more excited than the cats do. :lol3: :clap::clap:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Look at him go!! :clap::clap::clap:
Wow,that looks like some tough meat! I think I am going to look for some.... Gotta be good as a treat for their teeth :bigthumb:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: I second that one. My cats used to love the NV rabbit. Not anymore, they turn their noses up at it for some reason.
Sometimes he likes the NV, other times he looks at me like " :( :( Really???"
It smells weird, I think that might be part of it.

Look at that little carnivore go! :woohoo:

Yep - the pork I buy is 60mg per 4oz serving. :D
Yay! Good to know :)

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Look at him go!! :clap::clap::clap:
Wow,that looks like some tough meat! I think I am going to look for some.... Gotta be good as a treat for their teeth :bigthumb:
Yea, I didn't think he'd be able to tear through it so easily. He even cracked off some bone and ate the marrow inside!

Last edited: