Poppycat

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We had to let him go Monday morning, his liver numbers went off the chart and his system crashed.

I want this to be a celebration of him and his life, because he was an amazing cat and such a wonderful soul that it seems the right way to go about it. We had him in our lives for 13 incredible years. He was 17.5 years old.

He was still getting zoomies last week, both inside and during his supervised times outside in the back yard.

We have tons of memories, but some highlights include things like every time I'd bring in a piece of windblown litter from the front yard, he was right there because he simply had to sniff it and find out what it was.

He loved his toys, especially the leather tails that were on some of the mice that I regretfully had to cut off since he'd chew them (he never chewed anything else), and his little duckie that came with him from his first mama's house that survived and is now resting on one of the shelves of the cat tree.

He liked that cat tree that I got for him a couple years ago. The original intent for it since it was tall and sturdy was to give him a secondary way to get down from the top of the refrigerator because he was an extremely elevation oriented cat, and jumping down from the other side of the frig onto the counter and then to the tile floor was hard on his joints. But as with everything, he was such a big (not fat), long and long-legged cat that he barely fit into the caves in it. He'd make it work nonetheless, as he did with his purple microbead pillow.

He loved morning petting sessions.

He enjoyed having me throw a toy across the room so he could do chase-capture-play-kill even better.

He got great delight in dropping a mousie into his water bowl, and then nearly drowning himself in his attempts to retrieve it. He eventually figured out how to tip the bowl, just enough to drain some water, and make the mousie a whole lot easier to grab.

Being introduced to a harness was a feat of catly tolerance for him. He simply fell over the first few times I closed the snaps so it was fitted around him, to the point I could have dragged him across the floor (I didn't) LOL. But then he began to discover the wonders of Outside and realized the harness meant time in the outdoors, and he eventually would wait for me to put the harness on.

He would eat grasshoppers, but my partner kept telling him to spit out the legs since they'd make him throw up.

He really liked when a miller moth would make the mistake of coming in the house - he didn't have troubles with any of those body parts.

A few years before the squirrels decided our pine trees were their domain, we had a pair of blackbirds raising chicks in one of them, and a barely pinfeathered one got blown out of the nest. I found it, and realizing the nearest bird rescue was miles away asked Poppy what he thought. He looked at it, sort of sniffed at it, looked at me, sat down for a minute and then walked away. I could practically see him mentally shaking his head. (We got it to the rescue).

Our angel kitty Moffit hated the dogs that were next door at that time, and actually charged the fence one day and banged her front paws on the slats while the dogs went nuts on the other side. Poppy had a somewhat similar near-encounter with a HUGE Grand-daddy raccoon who was attempting to cross the backyard. He started to charge the 'coon but fortunately listened and stopped when my partner yelled NO!!

During the past few years, he'd sometimes simply sit on the deck, just observing his backyard.

One of my favorites is that he could parkour with the best of them. He'd jump onto the lid of a big trash barrel that we keep in the garage. From there he'd leap up, catch the side of a board that was screwed into the wall to hold garden hoses that's about three inches wide, and launch from that the rest of the way sideways and up just a bit further to the surface of a large upper shelf that my partner built for extra storage. If I hadn't had the good fortune to see it one time, I wouldn't have believed it. The angle apparently wasn't right for him to make it directly from the lid of the trash container to the top of the shelf because the container was usually placed so that it was partway under the shelf, so he came up with this.

He was smart, athletic even in his later years, gentle with us and thoughtful. He was a class act and such a true gentleman.

:redheartpump::rbheart::redheartpump: RIP little man, you were a gift :gift: :rbheart::redheartpump::rbheart:

:purr:

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful cat. He will be greatly missed, and sounded like he was one smart and intuitive guy. :hugs: The stories you shared have me smiling.

Rest easy, Poppycat. :petcat:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what to say - such a noteworthy, conscientious tribute to Poppycat. Your comments about him made it easy to see what a sweet life he brought to you and you to him. It invoked tears from me, albeit somewhat selfishly, as so many of us, including you, have been there before - and will be there once again at some point in the future with the loss of our treasured ones.

Bless you and RIP to your beloved Poppycat. :hearthrob::redheartpump::hugs::hearthrob::redheartpump::angel::rbheart:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Poppycat, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

Sometimes, we are privileged to share our homes and our hearts with a Great Soul. A being who stretches our own souls merely by their presence in our lives. It sounds as if Poppycat meets that description. You were, and are, blessed to have known him, and forever touched by him. And now, from that Place Where All Things Are Known, he sends his love for you, translated and purified into Love, to walk with you down through all of your days. Because Love abides. Always, forever, Love abides.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My heartfelt sympathies go out to your partner and you on the passing of dear, gentle Poppycat. :bigeyes: I remember reading your posts about how you would groom him. I also remember you mentioning how much he looked forward to wearing his harness because it led to adventurous outdoor excursions. Your love and devotion will always be treasured by him. :hugs: And his memories will live on in your heart. 💖 He is running pain free at the bridge now. RIP sweet angel,:angel:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To have such beautiful memories will be a great comfort in the coming years, it is at times like these I am always reminded of a quote I hold dear, "Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened."
To live to be such a great age is a tribute to his good care and the love of a wonderful family. Though when we love someone, no amount of years is ever enough.
Love is spiritual, so eternal. His love will always be a part of your soul, and that huge hole in your heart will eventually fill with his beautiful memories and the love he continues to send. You can actually feel the hole in your life when they leave us. It feels like a vacuum in our lives, and we miss their presence every single day. But our memories are a comfort eventually, and though the tears will fall, time will dull the sharp edges of grief in time. Time is the great healer and your poor broken heart will heal and become full once more. His love is so unique, it will never be replaced but added on to, made even brighter with each and every love your bring to your soul. So go forward into the future and seek life's beauty and happiness, just as you would want for him if you were the first to go. He wants no less because that is love. May he always be chasing his beloved toys across the heavens, he will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.
Take care of yourself and know we are holding you both in our thoughts and prayers. We are here anytime you need to talk......RIP sweet Poppycat. you will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When Tag passed a friend brought me some flowers like you have for Poppy. Some withered and it broke my heart throwing them out. I pressed a few and my Mom dehydrated the rest (I think she used a dehydrator but an oven would work on low.). Just an idea if you'd like to preserve them. ❤
1666914762246.png

StephMo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh... I'm so sad to read this. I don't log on that often now that I'm kitty-less. I remember you telling me a little bit about Poppycat when my Mouse was going through something similar this summer, and you were helping me get through it every single day. I'm convinced Poppycat's home-care protocols you shared with me helped Mr. Mouse get by a couple more weeks.

Poppycat kitty was loved! So loved. I kind of feel bad for people who never love an animal enough to grieve their loss once they move on because the relationship they offer is such a tremendous gift. Hugs to you, I hope you're doing okay.....:angel::hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm convinced Poppycat's home-care protocols you shared with me helped Mr. Mouse get by a couple more weeks.
I'm so very glad to hear this, -- thank you for telling me ❣ I'm sending hugs to you as well :vibes::grouphug2:

We're ok. Still a bit stunned that he's gone, and missing him like mad, but ok :bigeyes: :lovecat2: :lovecat3:

Last edited: