Popped Bellies In Kittens.

Skyehunt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About a month ago we got two new kittens, we got them at a young age due to the mother abandoning them. We fed them kitten milk and have hand reared them and had their regular vet check ups. They’re not around 7 weeks old ( as much as we can work out) and eating their wet food etc. The vets were a little concerned about their popped bellies and gave them worming stuff and then after another check up said they’re fine and healthy. They then went for another vet check up as the bellies hadn’t gone down and they had another set of wormer. Their bellies haven’t gone down and they’re rather skinny everywhere else. They are very bright and playful and apart from the popped bellies they seem very happy. They do eat a lot so we don’t know whether it’s just overeating but would expect them to put in on in other places not just their tummy. Their tummies are quite hard when you feel them.

If anybody has any ideas what this could be or what else we should do that it would very much appreciated !! X

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they have normal bowel movements, their belly wouldn't look popped like that in the morning, before they eat anything. Them holding their pee for too long also does. (I haven't seen this with kittens but my cat holds it sometimes and her belly shrinks back to a normal size after she pees.) Also check if they pass gas. My cat used to does this all the time and they were usually smelly. I changed her food and since then, in 5 months, I only witnessed once.

Also check what the dewormers cover. A lot of spot-on dewormers for example don't work for tapeworms but only for ringworm and hookworm.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
yes, what were exactly the dewormers used? A standard deworming of kittens is for roundworms. But if they were ever flea infested, they can have tapeworm too, as fleas are inbetween hosts for tapeworms...

Also, most dewormers need to be redone 3 times, in 2-3 weeks interwalls.

You can alwys try with some simethicone, the same as for human babies.
A probiotic is good, the best around probably the BeneBac by PetAg.
But human youghurt should work too. Take some mild full fat unflavored youghurt, preferably with added bacterias alike dofilus and acidofilus....

Raw goats milk cant hurt either, as supplement. Helps often with sensitive tummy issues.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you post pictures of them? Tiny kittens usually have big bellies when small. It makes them look cute! The tummies begin to elongate as the kittens grow bigger. They sound healthy to me.

Skyehunt Skyehunt