Pop UP Bugging Me and Slowing down My Computer

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep getting a pop up about unresponsive script. It says the scrip may be busy or it may have stopped repsonding. It is hanging up my computer.
Anyone know how to deal with it.

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's not any sort of advertisement pop-up just to let you know. It's perfectly normal, in a way, it appears in Firefox after a script stops responding for whatever reason. I no longer use Firefox unless I'm testing my web development skills so I can't really help here.

If you could supply me with the site details or any other information in the pop-up I may be able to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's not any sort of advertisement pop-up just to let you know. It's perfectly normal, in a way, it appears in Firefox after a script stops responding for whatever reason. I no longer use Firefox unless I'm testing my web development skills so I can't really help here.

If you could supply me with the site details or any other information in the pop-up I may be able to help.
The next time it pops up there I will let you know. Thanks for the help.

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it is caused by the application thinking that the script is running wild and will never finish processing and thus cause the application to freeze or crash.

try increasing the dom.max_script_run_time to 20 (the default is 10) and see if that helps.

also, i would recommend not allowing any unnecessary scripts to run on any site. that in and of itself will improve performance as well as greatly increase security.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
it is caused by the application thinking that the script is running wild and will never finish processing and thus cause the application to freeze or crash.

try increasing the dom.max_script_run_time to 20 (the default is 10) and see if that helps.

also, i would recommend not allowing any unnecessary scripts to run on any site. that in and of itself will improve performance as well as greatly increase security.
Thanks for trying to help. But I have no idea how to do any of what you wrote here.

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thanks for trying to help. But I have no idea how to do any of what you wrote here.
i would be happy to walk you through it if you like, it is very simple (a couple of minutes). let me know if you want to try, i am certain that it would help.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i would be happy to walk you through it if you like, it is very simple (a couple of minutes). let me know if you want to try, i am certain that it would help.
I have also read what you wrote about downloading some ad ons in Mozilla. That is the browser I use. What is involved in the process you are referring to.

Last edited:

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Increasing the maximum script loading time may actually help and disabling certain scripts from running will definitely help. I would also recommend downloading AdBlock Plus as this will disable the script from running at all since the script is advertisement-related.

Firefox's KB recommends what Whaler has suggested and more: http://mzl.la/LOwPvg

Hopefully this will help.

Also.. 999th post

Last edited:

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
blueeyedgirl - were you able to change the setting following the instructions in the link JazzyTheCat provided? if you haven't done it but are going to you can set the value higher than 20 without any issues - i have mine set to 40.

if you are still uncertain of how to do it let me know and i will try to walk you through it.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the ads turned off now and it is no longer causing me a problem.