Pop Quiz (mods If This Isn't Okay, Delete)

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a fun game for you. I have a cat I've had about 3-4 years whose ancestry I'm 100% certain of because I got him from a breeder who messed up and let two cats of different breed mate, and had to give the babies away. Both his parents had pedigrees and I saw them and their papers on site. The babies were free so dogfighters (which were horribly common in the area) could have gotten him so I wanted to save him. Plus I fell in love with him as soon as I saw his fun loving personality.

One of his breed ancestries is obvious, so I'll give you that as a starting "point", pun intended. His mom was Siamese, blue or lavender point. I'm not an expert in coat colors.

I'll post some pics to let you all judge by and see who's right tomorrow. This is just something I wanted to do for fun. If this isn't okay because other people need help, I sincerely apologise.

Also, in the second pic, he's the larger cat on the right.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Found some more. We have lots of pics because he's just always doing "posey" things. He's quite the camera han and would make a great model. Obeys a few commands as well which makes him easier to make hold still.

Attachments

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I'm going to go out on a limb and guess either ragdoll or Maine coon. The long hair gene is typically recessive so if he is male he would have inherited the short coat from his mother. His face shape and ears are telling me big breed lol.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree some with HaleyDS. I think Maine Coon is a possibility because of his square face shape, and also his beautiful lynx tips! Maine Coons do come in silver, too, so that matches up with his coloring. The long hair gene (FGF5 M4) is recessive. I don't think he would have Ragdoll influence, because Ragdolls are pointed cats (pointed, mitted, bicolor), so they don't come in the tabby patterns.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had some debate on whether he's a stripe smoke kind of pattern or a lynx point. Not 100% sure on that. If you guys could tell me, I'd be thrilled. Gonna stay mum about whether or not you guys are right until a few more people guess, though.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Time will tell. It always does. ;)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I've had some debate on whether he's a stripe smoke kind of pattern or a lynx point. Not 100% sure on that. If you guys could tell me, I'd be thrilled. Gonna stay mum about whether or not you guys are right until a few more people guess, though.
I'd say she would be a silver mackeral tabby.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say she would be a silver mackeral tabby.
I thought he might be. His stripes aren't just on his points. They're everywhere and darkest on his back. That's not like a lynx point, is it? Either way, he's a beautiful cat. Apparently other cats think so too. Spayed and unspayed females alike always love him, even though he's neutered! The unrelated little subadult Siamese mix girl he was depicted with above was spayed young and raised with another adopted boy her age. She likes a lot of personal space and usually hisses at other cats, but man, she took to Hex, the cat pictured, immediately, has taken on some of his mannerisms (like his trills and tail bushing up when he's very happy, as if he were scared; I think I'll share a pic of him doing that because it's just so funny.) She follows him everywhere like a little fangirl, caring little for her adopted brother now. Even moms I bring in of foster kittens (he's of a very social nature and loves babies. He is gentle and nurturing toward them and a great playmate who knows to take it easy on them.) just gravitate to him immediately. Something about him makes him a real ladies' man. My cat is like the young Brad Pitt of cats. Hehe.

Attachments

Last edited:

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Curious to see if anyone has any guesses that aren't Maine Coon. The foot size in his baby pics, the box body, and that face shape (plus characteristic round, intelligent eyes) and those ear tips certainly make it look what way though, doesn't it? And he IS a big boy, weighing in at fifteen pounds.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was thinking on a snow bengal, he has very much a lynx point looks, but Im not sure if striped tabby dominates spotted. I should know, but Im not sure. I had seen different answers.

But the question is shadowy; a byb breeder, so what says what you call for a siamese IS a typical modern siamese, it may be almost any shorthaired point...
And why byb? because of the oops? Nay, oops may surely befell also an serious breeder, but no sereious breeder would give away the uncoming kittens to just anybody, risking them as cannon fodder to fight dog trainers...

They would either make sure they come to a good home, or take the responsibility and
pts them.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Or maybe American or British Shorthair?

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking on a snow bengal, he has very much a lynx point looks, but Im not sure if striped tabby dominates spotted. I should know, but Im not sure. I had seen different answers.

But the question is shadowy; a byb breeder, so what says what you call for a siamese IS a typical modern siamese, it may be almost any shorthaired point...
And why byb? because of the oops? Nay, oops may surely befell also an serious breeder, but no sereious breeder would give away the uncoming kittens to just anybody, risking them as cannon fodder to fight dog trainers...

They would either make sure they come to a good home, or take the responsibility and
pts them.
Yeah, I have no respect for her at all and don't like that she did that. I simply wanted to save the kitten from a worse fate. Didn't care where it was from or even about the pedigrees, but she cared about showing me them anyway.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, I know I said 24 hours but I was just informed by my rescue a few hours ago that I have a very busy day tomorrow and probably won't have time to post, so I'm posting the answer now.

HaleyDS and abyeb were right! He's half Maine Coon, and his father was an especially large and nice-looking dark tabby boy, with a sweeping mane, gigantic fluffy tail, and dramatic ear tips. I don't know how he ended up with an irresponsible person like the lady he was with and I offered to pay to take the parents too, even if just to find them homes. Alas, she refused. I often wonder what happened to Hex's brother and sister, as he was the last left of 3. I really hope a rescue or a caring, responsible owner got them, but in that area, I know that's optimistic.

Anyway, good job. I know a lot of people here enjoy figuring out a cats genetics and playing with ideas on what went into the recipe to make a particular cat. When I realized I had a mix that I already knew what he was, I thought we'd have a little fun. Hope you enjoyed some practice. I definitely learned that his MC features are more obvious than I thought. If I sent videos though, there would have really been no disagreements. This dude communicates solely through chirps, trills, and chatters. I'm not sure he even knows how to meow, haha.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I didnt saw that coming, I still think he has a look of a point with very much of lynx (ie tabby) texture on him. Some has the tabby almost only in the masque, but some are quite visibly tabbies on body and all...

Even his eyes are blue, arent they not? The pic of him in the beer box is he, no? Its not his little point sis?

So I though, a combo of old style siamese and a snow bengal (= pointed bengal), both carrying tabby, could give such here result.