Poor Sinbad has been terrified

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was such a scary day for Sinbad. 

He had a vet visit that included his yearly bloodwork, so the vets had to wrap him up in a towel because one of the technicians botched a blood draw several months ago and now he completely panics at the sight of needles.

The day started badly for him because Wednesday we had to call for emergency repairs as the garbage disposal literally fell out of the sink, pulling pipes out of the wall with it. So the morning had plumbers tromping all around the house, and Sinbad is still afraid that any new person is there to take him and/or Tempest away.

Then we got him chipped. I'd figured since we had him out for the vet visit, we might as well get him chipped in one go - but that seems to have been a bad decision. We brought him to the shelter where we adopted him since they do it for literally 1/10th the price the vet charges. And Sinbad just completely flipped out. He clearly recognized Vicky and the shelter; It was very clear he thought we were going to leave him, or he was going to be taken away. He was out of his mind with fear. It broke my heart.

Normally after a vet visit he's fine within an hour, but a day later from all this and he still has not recovered. We are giving him Composure, and have pulled out the feliway. But he is having nightmares every time he sleeps jumping at every sound, and is back to needing to be in physical contact or at the very least visual contact with me at all times. I just watched him wake up from a nightmare, fall out of my lap and off the chair and run headfirst into the wall trying to escape from something in his dreams.

Now I've got him on the couch in his favorite room, tucked in my lap snuggled under his favorite blanket. I'm keeping an eye on him to make sure he didn't hurt himself, and also to make sure he doesn't fall in a panic again.

Can anyone think of anything else we can do to help him recover from his fright?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no, poor baby :eek:hno: The only thing I can think of that you're not doing/using (other than prescription tranquilisers) is Bach's Rescue Remedy. I've had good results using Bach's Remedies on animals. I don't begin to understand how they can work, but they definitely help in some cases.

Mega vibes for your sweet boy :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. He could use some good vibes the poor baby is just still so afraid. :(

Tempest is also aware something is wrong with him. She's been kind of watching him concerned-like. I'm not sure how to describe it, it's just a different sort of body language. And she does little things like making sure he's coming and is ok before going for her treats during treat time. 

That sort of thing is one of the things that keeps us motivated in the continued work of integrating them. She clearly cares about him, despite her fear.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat has the same kind of problem when he goes in a carrier. He was returned to the shelter two or three times (in three years) so each time he goes in a carrier he panics until we get wherever we are going. Once we are back in the car after a vet visit or whatever he is much calmer and even will sleep since he knows he is going home. I didn't realize cats could have this kind of PTSD (for lack of a better term). 

What usually works best for him after he is stressed from anything is getting home and being left alone. He likes to hide after vet visits. We have had good results with playing relaxing cat music for him as well. It really seems to calm him down. Eventually, he is back to seeking out attention and we know he's himself again. 

Also I love the names of your cats. The Tempest is one of my favorite Shakespeare works. 

Last edited: