Poor Kitty - Russian Salon Turns Cats into Dragons

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cutting a child's hair is not exactly the same thing.  Nor is getting a small child's ears pierced.  I, personally, think that's not such a great idea, but I don't think that it's unloving.

These people have decided that their pets need to look ridiculous, like stuffed toys.  That is what I consider to be unloving.

I've seen pictures of a lion cut.  It looks rather extreme to me, but there's a reason for doing it, and it actually benefits the cat.  (And, personally, I'd be more inclined to call it a poodle cut, but that's neither here nor there.)  This is a fashion statement, not something that's being done for the pet's own benefit.  Assuming the animals could speak human (presumably Russian, in this case), can you imagine either one of them requesting that this be done?  I can't.  I can imagine a child requesting the kind of haircut you sometimes see that has words or a sports team's symbol or some such shaved into it (not a baby, but a very young child).  Personally, I think it might be unwise to agree to that kind of request, but I'm not a parent, so I'm not sure that my opinion matters much.  I do have a cat, have had numerous pets: cats, dogs, and canaries, in the past.  Yes, I did feed my canary the kind of food that turns the bird more orange.  Also, I was still a child at the time; I wouldn't do that today (not that I'd even consider getting a canary with Jasmine in the house).  But even as a child I would never have considered doing something like this to a pet, and my mother wouldn't have allowed if if I'd asked.

I continue to feel that the real statement being made by the people who own these animals is "My cat/dog wasn't good enough for me looking like itself."

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I continue to feel that the real statement being made by the people who own these animals is "My cat/dog wasn't good enough for me looking like itself."
If a person refused to keep a pet that wasn't pink or lion-cut or dragon-ed, I can see that applying. If they constantly keep their pet in some crazy outfit/cut job, yeah, I'll say that's probably the case. As an occasional fun thing to do with a haircut? No, I absolutely don't agree. It's just fun and creative.

As an aside, someone said that people who have little dogs in their purses don't care about their dogs. I also don't agree with that. Lots of people love their little purse dogs greatly and would never give them up. They aren't all like Paris Hilton (who is pretty terrible at dog ownership :mad:). I don't agree with taking little dogs everywhere in purses for other reasons (people taking pets in stores with them can make things more difficult for people with legitimate service dogs), but I don't think it means they value/love their dog any less.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Road to hell is paved with good intentions, maybe that works same way with love too?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a person refused to keep a pet that wasn't pink or lion-cut or dragon-ed, I can see that applying. If they constantly keep their pet in some crazy outfit/cut job, yeah, I'll say that's probably the case. As an occasional fun thing to do with a haircut? No, I absolutely don't agree. It's just fun and creative.

As an aside, someone said that people who have little dogs in their purses don't care about their dogs. I also don't agree with that. Lots of people love their little purse dogs greatly and would never give them up. They aren't all like Paris Hilton (who is pretty terrible at dog ownership
). I don't agree with taking little dogs everywhere in purses for other reasons (people taking pets in stores with them can make things more difficult for people with legitimate service dogs), but I don't think it means they value/love their dog any less.
Some of my friends' dogs go to the groomers and get cleaned up, trimmed, etc., and if the dog gets diarrhea they call me freaking out with questions.  There's no question in my mind that while their little "diva dogs" get spa treatments complete with hair bows and painted nails, they love their dogs very much.