Poor Fluffy

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like a big meanie. I was giving the kitties treats while sitting on my bed last night, and Fluffy attacked Scooter for his treat. He started crying and covering his head with is paws, and I tried to pull Fluffy away by sliding one hand under her belly and one on her back, and of course she went after me. I let her go since Scooter had run away down the hall, and she kept coming. I reflexively threw my hand up to cover my face, and accidentally backhanded her on the side of her head, knocking her tail over whiskers. Now she seems afraid of me. She is not normally a scaredy cat, but she cowered down over her food this morning , when I petted her she sat really still instead of prancing in a circle like she usually does. She is fine with dh, and is physically unharmed, but it breaks my heart to see my spunky little girl acting like this toward me.

I have gone over and over it in my head, and tried to see if I could have done anything differently. I couldn't let her hurt poor Scooter, have a cat fight im my lap, or let her get to my face again. I can usually tell when she is about to act up, but this seemed to come out of nowhere. She is not a mean cat, but she is bratty and always wants her way, and will use teeth and claws to get it if she can't get it by being cute. She is tiny compared to Scooter and Pepper, but there is no doubt she is the queen bee around here. Not only do I not want Scooter hurt, but I do not want one of the others to get mad and hurt Fluffy. She mostly leaves Pepper alone because Pepper is nearly twice her weight, and could snap her like a twig. Scooter is even bigger, but is very timid. Mil's cats are closer in size, and they will fight with her. They don't since the pecking order has been established, they chase each other around the yard and play nicely.

I know in my head I have to let her come to me when she wants to and on her terms, but what I really want to do is scoop her up and cuddle her.

Any suggestions to remedy this situation would be welcome.

burretje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just give her time. She'll come around. 

Try not to feel guilty. You did not mean to scare or hurt her. It was an accident and these happen to all of us some times.

Her behavior does worry me though. Coming after your face... that's scary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually she just hisses and scratches a little, but she got me across the forehead once, gouged me pretty good and put a knot there. I never thought something so small could raise a knot on my old hard head. She was was a little better yesterday and let me scratch her head until she realized she was mad at me.