Poopy Paws, Slightly Soft Stools, Parasite Party

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I adopted two kittens about two weeks ago. They were slightly under 7 weeks and slightly over a pound when we got them - a little young to be away from mom and a little small for their age. The girl who fostered and bottle-fed them didn't give us very much information when we picked them up, besides that their mom was hit by a car.
They have had on-going problems with diarrhea and getting poop all over their paws. This is going to be a pretty long post novel because they are being treated for lots of things and their health has been changing rapidly. I think all the details might be helpful for others with new kitten problems, but if you just want the summary and the questions scroll down to the end. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I am also going to summarize everything I have learned about all the fun parasites my little kittens had and may still have down at the bottom, so hopefully it can be helpful in the future.

View media item 420035
I started the kittens Royal Canin baby cat food (no idea what they were eating before) and they had voracious appetites. I let them eat until they were full, and feed them on a 3-meal schedule. Marcel, the grey one, eats faster and seems to eat more than his brother. He had an unusually round-looking belly and very soft stools from day 1. He also had an unhealthier coat than his brother, and even though he actually weighed about 2 ounces more, looked smaller overall.

View media item 420031Marcel, a few days after I got him. His belly was very pronounced when he lays on his back like this.

Both kittens ate well and were full of energy. However, I never saw them drink and began to worry about dehydration, especially with the diarrhea. Since they were so tiny I waited a week to take them to the vet, hoping they would be big enough for their vaccinations by then. In the interim, I introduced a little bit of Wellness CORE dry food into their diet, hoping it would firm up the poop - which is did with Terrence. Marcel's stools were still so runny they did not hold their shape, although he always did manage to get it into the litter box. I also started giving them a probiotic 3 days after they arrived. Marcel started sleeping a lot and seemed a little lethargic, I suspected dehydration and tried to teach them to drink. When that didn't work, I used a syringe with no needle, mixed a little tuna water into their water bowl and syringe-fed him water after every meal. He seemed to perk up after this and was much more energetic, but I was beginning to panic.

The day before the vet appointment there was a tiny bit of blood and mucous in his diarrhea, and I ran it to the clinic for a fecal exam. I have a lot of problems with this vet visit, for many reasons which I will (try) not go into here. But, she basically said the fecal exam was clean but they should be dewormed anyways. Checked their ears and checked for fleas after I prompted her (I swear she was ready to just let us leave). She found flea dirt, but described their ears as "very clean" (I am convinced, two weeks later, that they definitely have ear mites). She gave me Revolution for the fleas and put them on a dewormer (strongid). Didn't mention that the fleas might cause tapeworms. Didn't explain that the round belly could be caused by roundworms and that I should keep an eye on it because if it didn't clear up it could be a very worrying sign of something worse, like FIV. Didn't mention anything about the persistent diarrhea (had been going on for at least a week at that point). She also said they looked too young for their shots (she said they looked more like 6 weeks than 7.5 weeks(!) - never mind that it seems pretty standard to give kittens their first FVRCP vaccines at 6 weeks). She scheduled the vaccines two weeks out.

The next day, they got a negative on their FIV/FeLV test (thank god) and I introduced them to my older cat. They immediately started drinking out of her water bowl...go figure.

View media item 420029Terrence, on my husband's Con Law book for scale

The next morning I find a tapeworm segment on Terrence's bum. I bring it to my vet as proof and they prescribe me yet another medication for the tapeworm. I had to actually prompt the receptionist to ask the vet whether Strongid was effective on tapeworms - she told me it was and I shouldn't worry, but I had just checked the internet and was sure it wasn't. Strongid does not treat for tapeworms.

Okay, so now I have to bring in my older cat to the vet because we actually just moved to a new city. The clinic wouldn't dispense the tapeworm medication for her without an initial exam. Luckily, I get a stand-in who turns out to be an excellent vet and not only does he give a great exam, he answers a ton of questions about the kittens and immediately prescribes them medication that treats diarrhea and coccidea.

The stool is firming up, but still smells awful and is soft enough to stick to their paws if it happens to fall on them during the deed. I go on a food-researching binge and read excellent things about Nature's Variety Instinct RAW dry food for both health and poo stinkiness/firmness. So I order the kitten variety for them and the rabbit flavor for my older cat. I slowly introduce that into their food. Seems to helping, but marginally.

Summary:
So now it's a waiting game. The kittens have been with us for almost 3 weeks. Terrence generally does not have issues, though sometimes he will have little dried poop stains on his feet that I must clean off. Marcel's stool has improved from "cow pie" to a "formed but soft" consistency. He basically gets it all over himself while he's doing the deed, not because he steps in it after he's done. I clean his paws with kitty shampoo at least once a day, usually more. He has also lost his pot-belly, so either it was the worms or it was just him fattening up before a growth spurt. They just finished up their ten-day diarrhea medication and although there have been significant improvements, I'm still worried because Marcel's poop hasn't totally firmed up and both their poop still smells pretty bad.

The kittens are being treated for coccidea (albon), roundworms (strongid), tapeworms (droncit), and fleas/ticks/roundworm/tapeworm/heartworm/mites (Revolution). They are still taking the probiotic, they are being fed a mix of royal canin kitten canned food and Nature's Variety Instinct RAW kitten dry food. I have read that the fish or the high protein of the Instinct dry food could cause loose stools in cats. I may try added fiber through pumpkin puree next, but what else should I do at this point? Is there anything more I should have the vet test for? Is it possible they will just grow out of it? Should I be trying out different foods or just stick with this food for a longer period and see if it works itself out? Will the smell improve over time - is it just a kitten thing? Should I switch them to a higher quality canned food (I only use baby cat because it is specially for very young kittens)?

View media item 420033View media item 420030

The Quick and Dirty on Kitten Parasites:
Roundworms:
Basically all kittens are born with roundworms. This is because the larval stage of roundworms encyst in adult cats and can be prompted to start developing again during a time of stress. The end of pregnancy is one of those times, and the worms develop into adults and then migrate to the kittens through the mother's milk. Therefore, all kittens need to be treated for roundworms, which is generally what people means when they say "deworm". It seems like a standard schedule is every two weeks starting at 2-3 weeks of age until they are 9 weeks old, then every month until they are six months old. This is usually done by shelters, and most kittens will be done with their 2-week regimen before they are adopted out. If your kitten is younger than 3 months, you will need to take it to a vet to get a prescription for deworming medication to give them until they are three months old. Then, you can use Revolution as a monthly treatment. While roundworms generally don't present symptoms, if left untreated they can cause your kitten to develop a "pot belly" and give them diarrhea. They can also cause stunted growth, lethargy, coughing and vomiting.
Since my kittens started deworming very late (7.5 weeks) I will give them their dose of Strongid every two weeks until the amount the vet gave me runs out and then I will treat them with Revolution once a month.

Ear Mites
: There are several different kinds, but the most common Otodectes cynotis, which feeds on the ear wax and oils inside your cat's ear. Infected cats might scratch at their ears and shake their heads. You may also be able to see a dark discharge inside their ears. In mild cases it looks like dark earwax. In severe cases the entire ear canal can be obstructed, and the debris might look more like coffee grounds. This is caused by the build-up of mite feces. The mites are usually very hard to see with the naked eye. You should take your cat to the vet immediately so that they can verify it is a mite infestation and teach you how to properly clean the ears as well as dispense medication to get rid of the mites. Never use a Q-tip to try to clear out the ear canal, as you will end up pushing the debris further into the ear. Ear mites are generally very treatable and result in little complication is caught early on. However, the buildup of debris can cause a secondary infection - so don't wait to take care of it. Revolution is great for prevention, but I have read that it is usually not good enough to get rid of an infestation that has already taken root.

Coccidea: Unlike the other parasites on the list coccidea is actually a class of protozoa, single-celled parasites that lived within animal cells. There are different species of these parasites that can cause coccidiosis. Infection most commonly causes watery, mucousy diarrhea. Bloody stools may also be seen, and if the infection is bad the cat might have trouble controlling its bowel movements (won't be able to make it to the litter box in time). Coccidea eggs are too small to show up on fecal tests, so you must specifically tell your vet to test for it. Your vet will prescribe your cat medication.

Tapeworms
: Are usually caused by ingesting fleas. Tapeworm eggs can survive in a hostile environment for quite awhile. Eventually, they are eaten by larval fleas and the act of being eaten induced them to start developing into larvae while the flea develops into an adult. The adult flea is then eaten by a cat while it is grooming itself, the flea is broken down and the tapeworms are released into the gastrointestinal system. One there, they develop into adults, attach their heads to the lining of the intestine, and grow. The adult grows in segments, which each contain their own reproductive organs and product eggs. The tapeworm will shed the terminal segments, which then exit when the cat defecates. The easiest way to determine if your cat has tape worms is to find those little segments either stuck to their bum, or in their poop. The segments look like little grains of rice or sesame seeds when they dry out. When they are fresh, they look more like a small tube of snot that can move around. If a cat has fleas, you should be wary, because it likely also has tapeworms. If you ever find one of these segments, save it in a little plastic bag and call your vet. Some vets require you to bring in a sample, some don't. They might prescribe you a pill, which needs to be administered once, and then once more in two weeks. There is also a one-time injection that can treat tapeworms.

Fleas: The most conspicuous sign of fleas is the "flea dirt" that builds up near the base of the tail and the back of the neck on cats infested with fleas. It will feel like hard grains of sand, and I easily noticed it when petting my kitten, especially when rubbing his hip area. The grains are black and they are actually dried blood that the fleas have pooped out. If it's just a few fleas you may not see the fleas themselves, even if you use a flea comb. Fleas should be treated immediately with a topical medication. Even though I am squeamish about putting insecticides on my pets, I have been won over by Revolution. It enters the bloodstream and treats many different parasites by killing them when they come into contact with your pet's body fluids. If your pet does have fleas, you should treat for 2 to 3 months in a row to kill any of the leftover eggs and larva as only the adults will be killed by the medication. If the infestation is really bad you should bathe the cat with a flea shampoo and groom them with a flea comb. Dip the comb into a glass full of soapy water after each stroke to kill the fleas. Fleas are also not limited to living on your pet - you will need to treat your entire home if your pet has fleas. For this reason, you also need to treat all your pets for fleas, not just the one that appears to have fleas. Flea eggs and pupae are very resilient, and can lie dormant for months. There are certain sprays you can use on furniture and the like, but your best bet is to vacuum thoroughly and often, especially all the places your cat likes to sit and sleep. Wash all sheets and fabrics that they come in contact with in hot water, you can also add a little vinegar. Dry on the hottest setting if you can, as the heat is what actually dries out the eggs. To test for/help treat fleas, you can set up a little trap by placing a desk lamp on the floor, pointed at a shallow dish (yogurt lid works well) of warm soapy water. Leave it out at night, the fleas will be attracted to the warmth and light and drown in the water.
When I discovered a few fleas on my kittens I went Armageddon and threw all my linens, all the clothes that were on the floor, all the washable bags and backpacks into the wash and dried on the highest heat setting I dared based on the fabric. I vacuum all the carpets and wood floors, the couch, and all the un-washable cushions, etc. I bought a "natural home and furniture" spray with a very low amount of peppermint oil in it and spray it everywhere from time to time. I vacuum the cat areas every day and the entire house every 2-3 days. I also treated all my cats with Revolution. Within a week, the flea dirt was gone and I have not seen any sign of fleas since.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First may I say that those two are simply too adorable for words! :loveeyes:

Second, I would probably wait awhile before making any more food changes, although adding some canned pumpkin isn't a bad idea. I would continue using probiotics, for their entire lifetimes, actually. What kind are you using? Does it have S. Boulardi in it? If it did, that would be good.

IF Marcel's stool doesn't improve after a few more weeks, there is a PCR fecal float that you can have done that's more than the normal one. It's a little pricey, but it tests for more than the usual baddies. Your answer might lie there.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens - thank you for your reply to my ridiculous post!

I am using PRO-Pets by hyperbiotics because the tiny pearl seemed to be the only thing my kittens were going to handle. However, it is not cat-specific and doesn't have S. Boulardi in it - I'll look into other brands for my next bottle. Do you have a favorite?

I'll keep the PCR fecal float in mind for the future. It seems like the stool changes from day to day but is on an upward trend, so I have my fingers crossed.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, I just looked up the Pro Pets and see it's in a pill form, which I guess technically they all are. ( But that one actually contains Guar Gum, which actually causes tummy issues in some cats :sigh:.) Most of us here on TCS usually open up capsules and actually mix the powder into their food, that's how we administer the probiotics. The way I give it to my guys is to actually dissolve the powder from 1/2 capsule in a little bit of water in their food dish before adding in their wet food. I just split one capsule between the two of them. And I do this morning and night. Nexabiotic is a great probiotic that does have S. Boulardi in it. Amazon sells it.

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh man, will stop feeding that immediately. I took them to the vet today and they gave me fortiflora, which doesn’t actually say which cultures it has in it anywhere on the box. It does come in a powder instead of pill form, though. I’ll use up what they gave me then try your recommendation

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vets are greats but i dont know why they are so ignorant about cat food. My vet only sell stuff made of corn and wheat. My suggestion to you is finding the best grain free packed with proteins cat food you can afford and give it time (most cats get soft stools when switching to new food). Place a water bowl in every room..this is really important. Its gonna be ok :)

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I always keep a box of FortiFlora on hand for emergencies (soft stools) AND to use on those days when Darko is being persnickity. He loves it as a food topper :rolleyes2: No, it doesn't contain S. Boulardi, but for some reason, it really does help with diarrhea, at least it helps Darko. Tinky won't touch it with a ten foot pole, but luckily he hasn't needed it

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lalka Lalka yes, I’m really unhappy that my vet told me to put them on Hill’s w/d and sold me 6 cans of it... it’s a horrible food and I can’t imagine it’s a good idea for kittens to be on a low fat, low protein diet food (along with all the other horrible things in there). But I’m desperate so I’ll keep them on it with the fortiflora to see if the diarrhea clears up then transition them onto a high quality wet kitten food. I think at this point it’s more concerning that such small kittens have had diarrhea for 3 weeks straight, so clearing up the diarrhea is the top priority - then high quality food and diagnosing any underlying health concerns comes after

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always keep a box of FortiFlora on hand for emergencies (soft stools) AND to use on those days when Darko is being persnickity. He loves it as a food topper :rolleyes2: No, it doesn't contain S. Boulardi, but for some reason, it really does help with diarrhea, at least it helps Darko. Tinky won't touch it with a ten foot pole, but luckily he hasn't needed it
Great, I hope that means it will help them. Marcel had diarrhea on the way to the vet today and it was a trying experience. I feel bad mostly for him, but for me a little bit too. FortiFlora is pretty speedy though, so if it works I think I will try to only use it for emergencies like you after they are normal.