Poops in litter but pees on newspaper

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This has been going on for a few weeks now. Nothing has changed except maybe a different litter smell(?) from the same litter company. She is 15 and never had a litter problem till now.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
She may just have decided that she no longer wants to pee where she poos. I have cats like that. But it's unlikely at this stage in her life.
I'd be getting her checked for a UTI.. That's usually the first port of call in cases like this.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If her litter smells different than what she has had in the past, that could definitely cause her to avoid it. But at her age, a vet visit is absolutely called for with a full senior blood panel to rule out things like diabetes or UTI. Be sure that her paws are checked for ingrown nails or sores.

If she checks out okay I would try switching to an odor free litter to see if that helps.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's worth taking her for an appointment. It could be a UTI.

But, it could also be arthritis. She may not want to leave the poo out, but she's too sore to go to the litter every time she pees. You could try some pee pads if you'd like! They come in the reusable variety as well. If it helps, you can put the pee pad down under the paper to stop the pee from reaching the floor.

What type of litter box do you have and how many?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for the prompt replies.
She has an appointment on Monday with the Vet.
We will get to the bottom of this small problem.
Pee pads are a good idea.
I have been surrounding the litter box with newspapers and she carefully pees on them and nowhere else.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks all for the prompt replies.
She has an appointment on Monday with the Vet.
We will get to the bottom of this small problem.
Pee pads are a good idea.
I have been surrounding the litter box with newspapers and she carefully pees on them and nowhere else.
Let us know how it goes ❣