Purraise
My cat pickles, who is 12 years old is having a problem pooping

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
When is the last time pickles was in to see a vet?
Have you changed his (? her? ) food lately? If not, maybe try a change - it might be that the manufacturer revised their ingredients in some way and it's upsetting his stomach.
Also, try adding some plain pumpkin to his diet, about a teaspoon to start, up to a tablespoon.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you mentioned your kitty is 12, has s/he been checked for arthritis? Sometimes that contributes to no poops. Is s/her eating well, throwing up, lethargic? Has s/he been to the vet for a senior wellness check? Blood work may be needed to diagnose some conditions that contribute to pooping problems in older kitties.

If still eating, it could be that there's not enough moisture content. If you're not feeding wet food, start incorporating that into your kitty's diet. Add in about a teaspoon of plain canned pureed pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.

If your kitty is not eating, throwing up, lethargic, and unable to get comfortable, it could be a blockage and that means you need to get the kitty to the vet sooner rather than later. Blockages can be fatal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharivernold

One Cool Cat
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
When is the last time pickles was in to see a vet?
Have you changed his (? her? ) food lately? If not, maybe try a change - it might be that the manufacturer revised their ingredients in some way and it's upsetting his stomach.
Also, try adding some plain pumpkin to his diet, about a teaspoon to start, up to a tablespoon.
Nothing has changed in his diet, he is on same food that he has been since a kitten, get both moist and hard food, he gets plenty of fluids, he has been to the vet in the last 2 weeks to get his blood levels checked, he is on phenobarbital & Buprenorphine,

sharivernold

One Cool Cat
Kitten
Purraise
Nothing has changed in his diet, he is on same food that he has been since a kitten, get both moist and hard food, he gets plenty of fluids, he has been to the vet in the last 2 weeks to get his blood levels checked, he is on phenobarbital & Buprenorphine,

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ah! It could be the pain med (buprenorphine). Sometimes that causes constipation. Try adding pumpkin to his food twice a day and see if that helps. If not, you can try Miralax.

sharivernold

One Cool Cat
Kitten
Purraise
Since you mentioned your kitty is 12, has s/he been checked for arthritis? Sometimes that contributes to no poops. Is s/her eating well, throwing up, lethargic? Has s/he been to the vet for a senior wellness check? Blood work may be needed to diagnose some conditions that contribute to pooping problems in older kitties.

If still eating, it could be that there's not enough moisture content. If you're not feeding wet food, start incorporating that into your kitty's diet. Add in about a teaspoon of plain canned pureed pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.

If your kitty is not eating, throwing up, lethargic, and unable to get comfortable, it could be a blockage and that means you need to get the kitty to the vet sooner rather than later. Blockages can be fatal.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I dont' know if either of those meds can cause - which? constipation or diarrhea?
Plain pumpkin can help. Oh, there you go, we were typing the same thing :)

sharivernold

One Cool Cat
Kitten
Purraise
He does not have arthritis, he is still very active, he gets both moist and hard food, he gets plenty of fluids, he even just ate his dinner just now, he goes to vet regulary, vet said he is great for a cat his age

sharivernold

One Cool Cat
Kitten
Purraise
when you say pumpkin, you mean the pumpkin in a can at the market?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, just good old plain pumpkin like libbys.
You want to avoid any that have the pie spices or whatever in them.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, plain canned pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling with spices. You want the plain stuff. You can also try plain squash baby food.

sharivernold

One Cool Cat
Kitten
Purraise
I have a question, I contacted the site, how can I get kitten under my cats picture off, or is it because I am new here

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's dependent on how long you've been a member and how many posts you have, there's a tier of names starting with kitten and working up.

sharivernold

One Cool Cat
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, plain canned pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling with spices. You want the plain stuff. You can also try plain squash baby food.
How much do I give him and how do I give it to him?

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pain meds such as buprenorphine can definitely cause constipation. Is the med new? If so I believe that’s the culprit