Pooping & peeing outside box whilst still using box daily

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dlmd52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did not do it to punish, trap, or cause fear. My idea is he would say "ewww" to the tinfoil and then associate it with that spot. I didn't yell or force him to stay on it. / Oh how I wish they could talk sometimes lol  My thoughts entirely no fear or you make their life hell & I want them all to love life cos they are my kids lol. Some think imnuts but I dont care, to me they are my kids. They do talk to me alot I just wish like you I could understand wot they say    I believe you said you checked to make sure climbing in and out of them wasn't a problem (sore or older cats sometimes have problems). Yes we watch em alot re flexiblity, mobility, moving jumping bending twistig etc.

I'm not saying it will be that fast for your kitty, but maybe putting up with the tinfoil for a couple months is worth it to see if it doesn't occur in that time? Getting some tonight :-) will also check to see if she starts elsewhere like next door to it on next step for instance

EUREKA! (Maybe!)  NO LITTER BOX UPSTAIRS  AND SHE'S PEEING AT THE TOP  OF THE STAIRS! "No litter box upstairs only down as we encourage them to use one area on tiles for ease of cleaning with litter being scooted everywhere when thy bury...." Also you say that she pees near the top of the first flight  of stairs. "Near top of 1st flight stairs"  There is more than one flight of stairs or are you referencing a landing? So my advice is to immediately put a box either at the top of the stairs or in a nice location suitable for a box on the upper floor and see what happens.  I've seen cases before when there wasn't a box on every floor and the cat couldn't make it all the time. The fact that she does this only once a month or so, (which makes it feel that she isn't  acting out) and that its near the upper floor where there isn't a box  makes a strong case.  It's worth trying this solution, even if it doesn't work (and I bet it will) we will still learn something important. The stair she uses is a few steps just below a landing to turn the corner up more stairs to the actual 2nd floor landing. I hadnt assumed she was properly toileting as it is so little & she has no illness, infection, runs etc. What do you mean with the term "acting out" are you referring to naughty or compulsion type activity?

Thanx all

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was saying that because she does this so infrequently that it is not a "naughty" (acting out) or compulsive behavior.  Instead i'm suggesting that this is a behavior of convenience (or inconvenience depending on your point of view) in that she has to travel down a flight of stairs every time she has to go, and that once a month or so this is too far for her and so she goes on the steps.  She may be telling you, "mom, why can't i have a litter box on both floors, especially when you have a bathroom on both floors?"

Think how you would react if you had to climb a flight of stairs every time you wanted to go? :-)

Please give her a box on the second floor and see if this helps.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
This must be so frustrating, having thought through so many things but not feeling you have reached the answer for her.  While I appreciate your wanting to avoid mess from litter being tracked elsewhere in the home, it does seem sensible to try a small tray close to where she is using occasionally. The chances are that the cats will not use this additional tray in such an active thoroughfare unless they have an urgent need for it, and it would be a means of seeing if she would use the tray in preference to the carpet on  the stair tread - if it is an issue of taking too long to get to the current litter areas on occasion.  Maybe on the small landing close to the step affected?

The other thing I am wondering is if you have tried any other brand or method of enzyme cleaning as some are more effective than  others I believe.  If she is caught short occasionally, the slightest trace of smell is likely to draw her back to the same spot.

The only other cat I lived with that started to toilet occasionally on the carpeted stair up to the main accommodation area turned out to be having seizures.  I don't want you worrying about anything unnecessarily, and I know you have taken her to the vet a couple of times, but there are so many different reasons why things like this can happen so it is always worth keeping an open mind and an open dialogue with your vet.  May this be something far less serious, and something for which a simple solution can be found.