Pooping/Peeing in Kitchen, but Using Litterbox in My Room

tg813

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone :)  I have a puzzling situation that I'd really like some advice on. I did look through the stickies but they didn't seem to apply to my issue.

My cat, Biscuit, had been using her litterbox with our other cat just fine since December. But after we recently went on vacation, we were told she had taken to doing her 'business' on the kitchen floor, sometimes the livingroom. Since then she's been switching between her box and the floor. To see if it would make any difference, I moved her litterbox into my room where she now stays almost full-time. She always uses her box in my room, but now when I let her out and keep the door open, she goes on the floor anyway! This morning was the worst--she had peed (and puked) on the kitchen counter, and pooped on the floor.

She doesn't look or act sick, and I don't think she's been traumatized in any way. She did recently get rid of some worms, but her poop is now fairly wet (she eats dry cat food). She does have fleas, which I intend to treat as soon as we have the money for medicine. Could either of those things have something to do with this problem?

I'd appreciate any input, thank you! :)

burretje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many litterboxes do you have? Some cats do not like sharing and some do not like to poop and pee in the same box. General rule is that you need 1 more box than you have cats. So if you have two cats you need three boxes.

What do you use to clean where she has pooped or peed? You need to use a detergent that takes the smell away. Normal detergents are not good enough. Even if you don't smell it any more, your cat will. This is an invitation to use the same spot again.

Have you changed litter recently?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tg813

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying :)

We have only one litterbox, but Biscuit is the only cat to use it for a long time. My other cat does her business outside, as she is largely an outdoor cat. I keep the litterbox clean and she is perfectly capable of making the trip from the kitchen (her usual hangout) to the bathroom or my room to use it, depending on where it is at the time. To clean her messes on the floor, I use a cleaner that is supposed to remove both stains and smell.

We do have four dogs (two of which love chasing cats) and I wonder if they did something to traumatize her while we were gone on vacation? The dogs are always in the livingroom, which Biscuit would have to go through to get to the litterbox. I've been thinking of moving the litterbox to the laundry room which is near the kitchen. I can go ahead and do that to see if it changes anything?

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whenever a cat presents with litter box issues, the first step should be a vet check to rule out a UTI, because if left untreated, they are very painful, dangerous and potentially lethal. When it hurts to "go," cats avoid 1. going, until they have to and 2. the place where they normally go, i.e. the litterbox, because they associate it with pain.

Please get kitty to the vet ASAP. :nod: If money is an issue for you like it is for so many of us here, check out CareCredit. http://www.carecredit.com/

burretje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I agree, this cat should be seen by a vet. Not only for this problem, but I'd also mention the vet poop. Poop should not be wet. If she pukes often, I'd get that looked at too. 

I would not move the litter box. You always need one more litter box than cats. So it does not matter if she's the only cat using the box. You still need a second one. So I'd buy another one and put that one IN the kitchen and IN the spot she uses there. If she uses it and has not done her business anywhere else for a prolonged period of time, you can think about moving the box. Be careful thoough. Move it slowly. Maybe a couple of inches a day.