Pooping Outside The Box

dhruska211

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I am new to the site. I have 5 cats, 7 litter boxes and scoop several times a day. My 2 year old TT Bagels started pooping outside of the box. She is dominate cat or wants to be? I need this to stop! Any suggestions please help.

Back ground: I found TT she was about 7 weeks old - feral. At that time I had a 20 year old, 17 and 7. The seven year old female (Mabel) does not like anyone, including people. She unfortunately, was never socialized when I got her at 9 months. Mabel hissed and growled at TT all the time and tried attacking her. TT was too fast for Mabel but TT "learned" from Mabel - such as blocking the steps to the main litter room, blocking the kitchen where there is food. I have 2 one year olds which are as nice as can be - TG. Mabel and TT avoid one another. But now TT has decided to show who's boss by pooping outside of the litter box - actually about a foot away from the litter box. However, several times decided my silk hand-made rug was the spot to pick. I have had cats all my life and never had this. I need this to come to an end. Thank you.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry you're having litter box issues with your cat.

Are the litter boxes in different areas throughout your home, or in the same general spot? When there's "bullying" involved, it's recommended to have the litter boxes in different areas, so one cat can't be always guarding all the litter boxes.

Have you tried Feliway or calming treats?

TCS has a few articles that might be helpful.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie poops outside of the litterbox when she's constipated. Have you tried increasing canned food?