Pooping outside of litterbox

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have two cats - Buddy and Missy. One of them started pooping outside of the litterbox in the last week and a half. The poops are solid. Also I try to catch the culprit. But anytime I'm around they both will poop in the box during the day. However, when I'm sleeping and wake up the next day that's when I find a poop surprise.

Missy had teeth removed about 2 weeks ago. She did pee in one of my empty shoe boxes after her teeth removal; however, she hasn't peed outside the litterbox since then. As for Buddy, he's been needy with the patting and cuddling. Also he's back to humping anything furry. Otherwise, both cats have been eating, playing, sleeping, etc.

I'm trying to avoid taking both cats to the vet......due to the cost. My gut tells me it's Buddy pooping outside of the litterbox. How do I know for certain which cat is pooping outside of the litterbox? Is there a way to tell?

Also, are there any medical conditions associated with such behavior?

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The first thing I would do is clean out the litter box right before you go to bed. Maybe there is too much 'stuff' in it when they attempt to use it overnight. A second litter box might also be something to consider. If the poop is always in the same location, you need to thoroughly clean that spot with enzyme cleaners - as that could be causing a repeat of what might have started out as a one-time accident.

If you have a baby cam, or other devise to record the litter box overnight, then you could find out which is the culprit. If you don't have one, maybe you could borrow one from a friend/family member/neighbor?

Medical issues are always a possibility, but diarrhea or constipation issues would be the first ones to come to my mind - and, apparently neither of those are happening.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the poop harder or dried than usual? That can also cause pain when going, and cats associate the discomfort with the box, rather than their own innards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the poop harder or dried than usual? That can also cause pain when going, and cats associate the discomfort with the box, rather than their own innards.

Sorry for the late reply. I believe it's harder than usual at first; recently it was a soft stool. However, I have a vet appt this Wednesday to see if there's anything medical. If not, I'm going to put a feliway in the bathroom to deter the behavior.