Pooping Outside Of Litterbox

tigger99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a kitten about 2 weeks ago. So when I first got him he didn't have any problems, he would poop in his litterbox. Lately though, he'll stand in the litterbox but his butt will hang over the box and half of the poop goes straight onto the floor and the other half will hang over the edge of the box. Luckily we placed a plastic mat underneath the box so it'll make clean ups easier, but it is a hassle having to clean up poop off the floor every single time. We got him a new, much bigger litterbox (maybe even a little too big for him) with a hood (i believe its the catit one with the door). He figured out how to use the door, but he'll just sit in there and roll around in the clean litter. I wanted some tips on how to introduce this litterbox to him so he can start using that one instead and he can have more room to poop and it'll maybe eliminate some of the smell. If need be, I'll still keep his old litterbox around but in a different room because my room smells atrocious if I don't clean his litter immediately.

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you still have some of his poop you could put it in the new litter box. That way he knows that that is his litter box. Also did you have the same type of litter in both boxes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ll definitely try that! And yeah I do

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you still have some of his poop you could put it in the new litter box. That way he knows that that is his litter box. Also did you have the same type of litter in both boxes?

I’ll definitely try that! And yeah I do

CatsAreTheBest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try putting the new litter box in the same place as the old one.?