Pooping Outisde Box

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is 6 years old and fixed. He was spraying all the walls and corners and in front of the door. I put new litterboxes out and now he sprays in them. But he is pooping outside them 1-2 a day. There are other litterboxes in the back room he used to use.

When he knows I see it, he shrinks up. I thought about putting him on anxiety meds before. Don't know if it will calm him. Hes jumpy usually but now that his older it's worse.

I was so tired and frustrated cleaning up after him before. I had to buy hundreds of dollars of cleaner and scrub the carpet to get the spray out everyday. I do not want to start up again. Its just one thing after another.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:frustrated: Frustration for sure! Now you get to play detective! His behavior sounds like it might include response to pain while urinating and defecating - I would opt for a vet check for the first step. Next I would make sure that the litter is fragrance free & unscented
And I would put up some sort of trail cam outside to see which critters are marking territory in your yard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emizawesome

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good idea. Ill take him for a checkup to be safe.
Its the same litter Ive always used but Ill look for a different one. Hes a picky thing.
I live out in the country so there are skunks and possums sometimes but I dont how I cam keep them out.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree a vet visit is the first thing to do. Inappropriate elimination is often one of the first signs of a health problem. Best of luck to him, do keep us updated. :heartshape:

nazzurai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Deffo agree with the above

A Vet visit is needed

Hoping everything is okay with him

Let us know how he is