Pooping On The Garage Floor - Not Next To Litter Box

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I am wondering how to go about problem solving a litter box issues with my two cats. They have both been completely reliable in the time that I've had them (three years for Felix and 18+ for Trixie). Trixie has stage two KD, and has is an a mixture of dry and canned KD food. Felix is on dry Royal Canin SO.

Earlier this year, I noticed a piece of dried stuff near where Trixie sleeps. I asked the vet about it, and she gave me some lactulose to give to Trixie. I never got up the courage to use it. More recently, I found a piece of softer poop as well as what looked like hairball residue in one of their cat beds which I cleaned up. Today, I found some relatively soft poop on our garage floor (and it looked almost like one of the cats had scooted their behind on the floor.

One thing that did change is that I bought scented litter by mistake last time, and used that in their boxes. If the problem continues, I'm thinking I will need to change back to unscented litter. If it continues after that, I'm thinking I will need to figure out which cat has the issue (I almost suspect Felix, because what I saw today looked like it had grass in it, and I know he nibbles grass outside).

Is there anything I'm missing, or any thoughts you can add?

PS - I should add that we had two recent incidences of Felix bringing mice into our garage in case that is relevant.

Also, I did not use enzyme cleaner on the garage floor. Would that be a good idea next time?

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Quite a few changes going on with your cats, which makes it harder to narrow down what might be causing the "out of litter box" deposits.

I guess until you can determine which cat is the culprit, it's hard to figure out what's causing it.

For starters, though, maybe go back to the regular litter and see if it helps. At least then you'll know if it's an easy fix or not. And then to use up the scented litter, maybe try adding a small amount of it to the regular litter, and hopefully the scent won't be so noticeable.

I'm also wondering about the mice Felix has been catching. I wonder if he needs a dewormer?

Not sure about the enzyme cleaner. It probably couldn't hurt. But unless they are going in the exact same spot, it may not be a case of returning to the area of their own scent.

And, of course, if they haven't been to the vet recently, that's something to consider as well.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like constipation or hairballs. Can you try hairball treats or paste every other day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I do wonder about constipation with Trixie, so will keep an eye on her. I also did wonder about deworming with Felix. He didn't eat either of the mice, but he did have his mouth on one. I will talk to the vets office about that. And am beginning to understand while people advocate keeping cats indoors.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really is safer to keep cats indoors. And less worrisome too. I can't imagine opening the door and letting Ruby out to roam on her own. I'm sure I'd be a nervous wreck till she came home.

Hope your cats' litter box habits get back to normal soon. Do update us if you figure out what was causing the change.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really is safer to keep cats indoors. And less worrisome too.
I brought Demi in for good when he kept crossing the street and playing in the median of the two roads. There are a bunch of tree stumps there and he was playing hopscotch across them. :rolleyes3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, we definitely have a problem. My Mom opened the garage door this morning and stepped in some that was on the rug by the door. I will go ahead and change the cat litter back. Let me know if you have any ideas on figuring out which cat, or other advice for me. I will update you once I get things figured out. I feel bad for my Mom, and am hoping there are not cat parasites that can pass through skin?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To start off with, you can collect a small bit of the feces and take it to a vet for testing. Most vets will accept a sample without actually having to see a cat. It doesn't have to be much, in terms of amount, to test for parasites. If it comes back positive, you will need to treat both cats anyway.

You might also want to ask about testing for bacteria as well. That way if there are no parasites, but there is bacteria it can still be treated.

As long as your mom washed her hands immediately afterward, there likely shouldn't be an issue.