Pooping on the floor all of a sudden!

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gizzy is now 14 weeks old, his earlier behavior issues seem to have gone away as he has grown. However this week he has started pooping on the bathroom floor in front of my shower, he has a litter box in the bathroom already and one in his cage that he stays in when we aren't home. The first 2 day's he did it in the night when we was in bed so I started taking the box out of the bathroom and closing the door and putting the box infront of the door. Yesterday when I woke up he had used the box in the night and no out of the box surprises anywhere but when I got out of the shower he had pooped again on the floor. I am using a cleaner with an enzyme to eliminate the smell, a few hours later my son called me at work to let me know he did it again! Last night we steamed clean the carpet where he keeps doing it then I took an old blanket covered the whole area and put his litter box on top of it, 2 hour's later he went in scratched his box then got out scratched till the blanket was pulled back and pooped on the carpet and it was diarrhea! This morning he did it again only this time my husband saw a worm in it. I am not sure how he even got tape worm since he's never been outside since we got him I had wormed him after the first failed attempt to the vet. He doesn't have fleas and he has never even seen another cat. We immediately called the vet and my husband went and got wormer for him. So far he hasn't gone to the bathroom so I don't know if he will go in his box or not. Do you think this is the reason for his sudden change in litter box habits? I have done tons of research about cat's since Gizzy is our first cat and I went out and got a new litter box and put puppy pads in it in case his butt was sore and the reason he started using the carpet my fear is he will continue this behavior and my husband will make me get rid of him. I already feel terrible because I didn't realize he had worms or that he was sick. I haven't changed litter or his food.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 This morning he did it again only this time my husband saw a worm in it. I am not sure how he even got tape worm since he's never been outside since we got him I had wormed him after the first failed attempt to the vet.  We immediately called the vet and my husband went and got wormer for him.  I already feel terrible because I didn't realize he had worms or that he was sick. 
I don't understand what you mean by "first failed attempt to the vet". Has he been checked by the vet? He is a kitten and your first cat. Not only will a check up determine if he has any health issues but the vet can answer any questions you may have and prescribed the proper dosage and type of medication.

turks rule!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens need worming a lot more than a full grown cat as I learned to my shame when my cat was young irrespective if they are indoor or outdoor.

I wormed my kitten the day after I found him(he was around fourteen weeks old) and was told off that I had not done a complete programme when I took him in for vaccinations a couple of months later. Please consult your vet who will be able to advise you properly. Seeing worms means that your kitten has a heavy infestation . I know that he has been wormed but I would hate him to miss out on the full programme that they are ment to have.

What are you feeding your kitten? I think that that maybe linked to his runny poops. This maybe why he is not making it to his litter tray on time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first time I took him to the vet he went crazy and was so aggresive the minute I took him in the door he started hissing and tryed to bite the vet. He gave me the wormer he had drawn up to give to him during the visit but couldnt do the shots unless I let him sedate him, the vet also told me to get him fixed and let him go!! I was so upset after the visit I was close to tears! I have found a new vet that is the best ever we found them when my boxer got hit by a car and was the only vet that returned my call and was so nice to us and our dog that we changed to that office! So Gizzy has been to the vet and been wormed and has gotten his shots!

faery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he has gotten his shots and been wormed. Did the vet also do a full examination? Are there any changes in his stool?

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens need worming a lot more than a full grown cat as I learned to my shame when my cat was young irrespective if they are indoor or outdoor.

I wormed my kitten the day after I found him(he was around fourteen weeks old) and was told off that I had not done a complete programme when I took him in for vaccinations a couple of months later. Please consult your vet who will be able to advise you properly. Seeing worms means that your kitten has a heavy infestation . I know that he has been wormed but I would hate him to miss out on the full programme that they are ment to have.

What are you feeding your kitten? I think that that maybe linked to his runny poops. This maybe why he is not making it to his litter tray on time?
I feed him friskies canned food with gravy. When he was little I gave him canned food that contained beef and gravy and found out the hard way that his belly could not tolerate the beef because he would eat and then run straight to his box and have terrible runny poop that got all over him! He got wormed from the visit that the vet gave me to bring home, he was 6 weeks old then. Then he had a check up at 12 weeks with this new vet and got clean bill of health and his shots. We called them today and they got the wormer dosed and had my husband come get it there. So I gave that to him today. He goes this Tues. to be fixed and they will check him over and do stool sample to make sure that its just tape worm and said from there will see where treatment needs to go. The runny poop isn't why he is going on the floor because he starts in his box and then goes across the bathroom to poop on the floor last night I watched him go in the box that I moved to where he has been going on the floor same thing he scratched and then got out and worked to pull the blanket back so he could then poop on the carpet. So far he has only peed in the new box with the puppy pad and a little litter in the are where he has been going on the floor but he did go to the old box and pooped in it. Maybe he was just trying to tell me he was sick, I really don't know. Its all new to me I didn't know cats are so picky!! He seems to be feeling ok still loving and playful.

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I'm glad he has gotten his shots and been wormed. Did the vet also do a full examination? Are there any changes in his stool?
When he used the litter box a few hours after we gave him the med it was very runny but he did go in the box this time and not on the floor. I didnt see anything in it this time.

faery

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried changing the TYPE of litter? I have one cat who refuses to use a litter that has the non clumping kind, and another who refuses the clumping kind (have two boxes now)...and another who simply doesn't quite fit in the box and does his dirty work outside.

Sometimes scented litter can repell a cat as well, as can the kind that "crackles" when they go.

amy thornton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried changing the TYPE of litter? I have one cat who refuses to use a litter that has the non clumping kind, and another who refuses the clumping kind (have two boxes now)...and another who simply doesn't quite fit in the box and does his dirty work outside.

Sometimes scented litter can repell a cat as well, as can the kind that "crackles" when they go.

So far I have been using arm n hammer cat litter that clumps and keeps smell down. So far since we gave him the medicine he has not had anymore misbehaving when going to the bathroom. And he is still crazy as ever! Whenever I tell people the things he does they always say I have never heard of a cat doing that! He loves water, if I don't close the door to bathroom he will get in the shower with me everyday, I finally just bought myself a new tooothbrush and him a child size one because when I brush my teeth he gets up on the counter and wants to play in the water and caught him chewing on my toothbrush so I dip his in water and he chews on it but only after I brush his little teeth a few times! :lol3: