Pooping On The Couch

ucfbabe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few months ago my 7 year old male cat started pooping on our couch out of the blue. It was in frequent at first, but in the last week has become almost daily. There seems to be no reason for this. Also, his poops are loose and not little logs anymore. I have tried a lot of easy things like thoroughly cleaning it and spraying with odor repellent. But he just keeps going back to the same spots on the couch. I would love to know if this has happened to anyone else??

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No but I think a vet visit is in order to find out why he has the runs. I would try mixing a 1/2-1 teaspoon of unflavored baby rice cereal into your cat’s wet food to see if that helps firm up his stools. You can add rice to every one of his meals and increase the amount. I would still take him to the vet.

Your couch? I would let an enzyme cleaner really soak in. Then I would tape down a tarp or tablecloth on your couch and if need be put a litter box on the couch (you can remove the tarp and slowly move the box away later.) if he can go without a litter box on the couch and not poop on the tarp for a month then you could try it without. Good luck!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would suggest that at a minimum you take a fresh stool sample to the vet for testing. Once you collect it, if you can't take it right away, triple bag it (due to the odor) and put it in the refrigerator until you can get it to the vet's. I think it is still viable for testing up to 24 hours after collection, but you could ask the vet to be sure.

Ask for testing that not only looks for parasites but for bacteria/viruses as well. I think it is called a fecal PCR test.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
U ucfbabe : hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, about the reason that brought you here. :(

The fact that his stools are loose is a clue. Is he eating the same food? Anything change in the household? Does he go outside?

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, your little guy needs to go to the vet. Something is causing the loose stool -virus, bacteria or parasite and he needs treatment. Secondly, what have you used to clean the cushion? Have you used vinegar as a final 'rinse'? You might have to have the couch professionally cleaned.