Pooping on rug and spraying

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has had really good litter box habits until this past year . He still uses his litter to pee but he would often poop on the rug in front of it . It’s scooped daily . The litter type isn’t changed . I ended up getting a bigger 2nd box for him because he’s a really large cat and that seemed to solve the pooping on the rug . But now he’s been going in my garage and spraying on totes . There are two litter boxes out there he can use . My other cat lives in the garage and they are friends . They don’t fight . She sleeps up on a stack of boxes because it’s what she prefers being a former outside cat . The boy cat had been spraying totes that aren’t anywhere near her . At first I thought maybe it was a couple of the totes were from my sister and she has a cat . Once he sprayed on a trash can that had been outside . Now I can’t let him out in the garage because I never know where I’m going to find spray . He doesn’t have accidents just sprays . To top it off I found poop on my front rug the other day ! His box was cleaned . The rug was the one going to the outside not the garage . At this point it feels like bad behavior. He does hate the outside cat he sometimes sees out the window or screen door . I don’t know if this is why ? Do cats mark with poop ? He really has no excuse and I’m getting annoyed

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is this cat?
So, let me make sure I understand. He was pooping outside the litter box, but you bought a new larger box and he stopped. But he was spraying in the garage, which you also stopped by not letting him out there anymore. And now he has pooped (just once?) on a rug by a door to the outside. If only once, remove/replace the rug so it is not an enticer to go there again, and watch to see what happens. If you can clean the rug, you can try that too.

Is the rug in front of a door that is nearby the location where he can see this outside cat? Does this cat come close to the window or door? You might have to consider ways to stop that cat from coming around your home. Or, block your cat's view. If it is a neighbor's cat you might talk to them and let them know there appears to be an issue - maybe, they would be willing to work with you to keep the cats away from each other.

If he continues to poop outside the box, and because he can't tell you what is bothering him, the first action is to take him to have a thorough vet exam including blood work, urinalysis, and fecal testing. This is even more important if he hasn't recently been seen by a vet. Rule out medical issues before assuming it is a behavioral thing.

And, he may need to have a second litter box to use. As odd as it sounds, some cats develop a preference to use one box to pee in and another to poop.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, unfortunately, have a little experience with pooping outside the litter box. With Ruby, moving one of the litter boxes from the basement to the main level, 99% solved the problem. So you could try moving the litter box to another location in the home.

What has been the consistency of the poop when your boy goes outside the box? Normal? Reason I ask is because the other times it's happened with Ruby is when she's either been a bit constipated, or had a bit of diarrhea, so I figure it might have been discomfort causing the litter box avoidance.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What has been the consistency of the poop when your boy goes outside the box? Normal? Reason I ask is because the other times it's happened with Ruby is when she's either been a bit constipated, or had a bit of diarrhea, so I figure it might have been discomfort causing the litter box avoidance.
I can attest to this. Willy was always consistent with pooping in the litter box over the last 8-9 years, except when he's had diarrhea. Usually, the poop happened near the box (like he couldn't quite make it in), but other times it was further away.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time Nobel pooed outside the box was when he had very painful constipation.

Check with your vet to be sure.
I didn't mention this in my previous post about Willy's diarrhea, but I also have found pieces of poop outside the box when he was constipated.

Just small pieces, though. Almost like he didn't know he was doing it (like he'd wake up from a nap, jump off his bed, and there would be a small piece left behind).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I, unfortunately, have a little experience with pooping outside the litter box. With Ruby, moving one of the litter boxes from the basement to the main level, 99% solved the problem. So you could try moving the litter box to another location in the home.

This is a good question. It seems like the poops he leaves on the rug are kinda little
Balls . So maybe consitpated ? Last time I took him to the vet I asked them about him drinking a lot of extra water . Because he’s always wanting water or wet food . They did blood work and said everything looked normal and just start to maybe measure or keep track of the water . We just keep a big bowl on the tub and he drinks frequently . Unless my daughter forgets to refill it after her shower which she often does . He does have 2 litter boxes . He mostly goes in the boxes but occasionally at random still poops on the rug and only the one time I found it in front of the entry door

Yes that entry door is one he can see the outside cat through if I leave the heavy door open and just have the glass door closed so he can look out .
They are neighborhood cats so no one owns them . I’m unsure how to stop them from coming up to the house . I just watched one spray on a bush outside the window George likes to sit in 😬

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. How old is this cat?
So, let me make sure I understand. He was pooping outside the litter box, but you bought a new larger box and he stopped. But he was spraying in the garage, which you also stopped by not letting him out there anymore. And now he has pooped (just once?) on a rug by a door to the outside. If only once, remove/replace the rug so it is not an enticer to go there again, and watch to see what happens. If you can clean the rug, you can try that too.

Is the rug in front of a door that is nearby the location where he can see this outside cat? Does this cat come close to the window or door? You might have to consider ways to stop that cat from coming around your home. Or, block your cat's view. If it is a neighbor's cat you might talk to them and let them know there appears to be an issue - maybe, they would be willing to work with you to keep the cats away from each other.

If he continues to poop outside the box, and because he can't tell you what is bothering him, the first action is to take him to have a thorough vet exam including blood work, urinalysis, and fecal testing. This is even more important if he hasn't recently been seen by a vet. Rule out medical issues before assuming it is a behavioral thing.

And, he may need to have a second litter box to use. As odd as it sounds, some cats develop a preference to use one box to pee in and another to poop.
He likes going in the garage to get away from my toddler and it’s cool so it’s inconvenient. He only sprays sometimes so I really want to figure out why .
Yes he can sometimes see the outside cat out the front screen door . It’s a community cat and no one owns it but they are fed by neighbors so Im unsure how to keep them away . I literally saw one pee on the bush outside the window that George sits in today

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you discuss Restorilax/Miralax with your vet to help with constipation?

How old is your cat? Nobel had some constipation as he got older. His bloodwork was good as well so they thought his bowels may not be working as hard so then his poops were becoming too dehydrated. Restorilax and Miralax bring water to the colon to keep it hydrated and easy to pass.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a good question. It seems like the poops he leaves on the rug are kinda little
Balls . So maybe consitpated ?
How much are you talking about? Like just one, or maybe a few little balls of poop?

In a post above, I mentioned I found little pieces of poop outside the litter box when Willy was constipated. But they were always just one or two, and small ball-shaped pieces. They were almost always in his sleeping or resting spots.

I'm not sure if he was aware he was leaving them. This hasn't happened in a while, but he was frequently getting constipated earlier in his life, before his diet was properly adjusted.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Balls . So maybe consitpated ? Last time I took him to the vet I asked them about him drinking a lot of extra water . Because he’s always wanting water or wet food . They did blood work and said everything looked normal and just start to maybe measure or keep track of the water . We just keep a big bowl on the tub and he drinks frequently . Unless my daughter forgets to refill it after her shower which she often does . He does have 2 litter boxes . He mostly goes in the boxes but occasionally at random still poops on the rug and only the one time I found it in front of the entry door
It does sound like maybe a bit of constipation is happening with him. I would suggest adding a bit of water to his food, but it sounds like he gets plenty of water.

Maybe a change of food might help. Or, as A Alldara suggested, maybe talk to your vet about Restorilax and/or Miralax.

And about the spraying, make sure you clean any areas with an enzyme cleaner to ensure the pee scent is removed, otherwise me might still smell it and keep spraying there.

How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine - TheCatSite
How To Remove Cat Urine - TheCatSite
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home - TheCatSite

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Based on all of the comments above, I think I would tend to go with trying to resolve what might be a possible constipation issue first. If that doesn't stop the problem, then we can round back to talk more about potential ways to keep the community cats away, at least from the immediate area around of your doors/windows.

KittenRescue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He likes going in the garage to get away from my toddler and it’s cool so it’s inconvenient. He only sprays sometimes so I really want to figure out why .
Yes he can sometimes see the outside cat out the front screen door . It’s a community cat and no one owns it but they are fed by neighbors so Im unsure how to keep them away . I literally saw one pee on the bush outside the window that George sits in today
I suggest you start adding water into his kibble. Some people feed their cats like this to ensure they stay hydrated, the other thing is maybe put a cat water fountain in the same room as his food bowls to encourage him to drink? Also I suggest you contact your nearest no kill animal shelter about the stray and ask them to catch it as that may resolve the issues. Until then maybe plug feliway into the wall to calm him down if he is unhappy about the stray.
Furthermore, once all above is achieved try to change the litter-boxes to bigger not hooded sizes and try sandy litter (most cats love it) because constipation is painful for cats and therefore he may associate his litter-boxes with pain now. If above does not resolve the issue then take him to the vet.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I suggest you start adding water into his kibble.
This can be a slippery slope. Depending on their environment bacteria can be more likely to grow when you add water to kibble. In Cooler tempers it may not be an issue but in warmer and humid temps it could be a big issue.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This can be a slippery slope. Depending on their environment bacteria can be more likely to grow when you add water to kibble. In Cooler tempers it may not be an issue but in warmer and humid temps it could be a big issue.
As long as you don't leave it out too long, it should be fine.

Meaning, if a cat doesn't eat it and leaves some food for multiple hours, toss it and give new food.

However, I wrap up leftover wet food and put it in the fridge, then reheat it later. I haven't ever tried that with watered dry food, but I can imagine you could do the same. Wrap it up if uneaten, and put it in the fridge. See if the cat will eat it later... I bet some cats will but some won't.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
As long as you don't leave it out too long, it should be fine.

Meaning, if a cat doesn't eat it and leaves some food for multiple hours, toss it and give new food.

However, I wrap up leftover wet food and put it in the fridge, then reheat it later. I haven't ever tried that with watered dry food, but I can imagine you could do the same. Wrap it up if uneaten, and put it in the fridge. See if the cat will eat it later... I bet some cats will but some won't.
It really does depend on where you live. If the weather is warm to hot, then issues can arise pretty quickly. It also gets very gluggy and unappetising. It's really just something to do if the cat eats it immediately.
Also not wild about the reheat idea.. it's never good with meat.
But we're getting a little off-topic here. ;)

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also not wild about the reheat idea.. it's never good with meat.
But we're getting a little off-topic here. ;)
I only do that sometimes. My main goal is to figure out the exact portion of the wet food he will eat in one meal, ahead of time, and immediately refrigerate the remainder of the wet food portion for next time. But sometimes he doesn't finish a wet food portion fast enough, and rather than leaving it out, I wrap it up and serve it later.

Reheating makes him much more likely to eat it than when it's ice cold. I am no vet, so nobody take any of this as advice. It's just been my personal practice for years.