Pooping And Urinating Outside Of Litter Box

=^.^=crazycatlady=^.^=

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I need some help when it comes to my gray domestic short hair spayed feline girl. She is a little over 8 yrs old. She has a bad habbit of urinating and pooping outside of the litter box now after 6-7 years; her behavior started changing when i was about 4-6 months pregnant (2 years ago). She uses the litter box but every few days - week she will poop or urinate outside. She usually urinates on a wall, clothes, plastic bag. She never had this problem before. Took her to the vet and her health is great.
Please help
Thanks

Fyi: i do have multiple kitties, but they all grew up together

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The urinating on things is marking behavior. Keep things clutter free. Clean messed areas as soon and thoroughly as possible.
Going outside of the box is displeasure with the litter situation. Change the litter more often, get more litter boxes or bigger litter boxes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

=^.^=crazycatlady=^.^=

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The urinating on things is marking behavior. Keep things clutter free. Clean messed areas as soon and thoroughly as possible.
Going outside of the box is displeasure with the litter situation. Change the litter more often, get more litter boxes or bigger litter boxes.

The litter is changed every time a kitty uses it. I have multiple litter boxes and are really big as well.

LiveLongNPawsper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having the same issue with my 6 year old spayed female. She has never had an issue using the litter box, but as of the last few weeks I've found poop on multiple rugs, and there's one rug in particular she has chosen to pee on. We have multiple boxes that are cleaned daily. They were all beside each other but we've separated them and she still does it. My 7 year old spayed female has taken to peeing on the pleather couch. Ugh lol

=^.^=crazycatlady=^.^=

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same issue with my 6 year old spayed female. She has never had an issue using the litter box, but as of the last few weeks I've found poop on multiple rugs, and there's one rug in particular she has chosen to pee on. We have multiple boxes that are cleaned daily. They were all beside each other but we've separated them and she still does it. My 7 year old spayed female has taken to peeing on the pleather couch. Ugh lol
Yup! I know!! My doctor think it is due to the new family member (21 month old daughter now) but my girl (kitty) has been around other family members and has not have any problem. Not until, like i mention was 6-7 months pregnant.

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your kitty is using the same area's over and over, you haven't gotten the smell out. There are several products you can buy that will remove the odor and the stain.

Cats generally pee and poo outside their litter box because of health problems, because of litter box cleanliness problems and sometimes it's because of some other stress. You've already covered health problems. If you're keeping your litter boxes clean, are they all located in the same area? Perhaps moving some to another spot will help. Make sure you use something to clean the area's the kitty has been using really well.a

We use feliway in our multicat home, we noticed a definite difference in general misbehavior when we started using it.

=^.^=crazycatlady=^.^=

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If your kitty is using the same area's over and over, you haven't gotten the smell out. There are several products you can buy that will remove the odor and the stain.

Cats generally pee and poo outside their litter box because of health problems, because of litter box cleanliness problems and sometimes it's because of some other stress. You've already covered health problems. If you're keeping your litter boxes clean, are they all located in the same area? Perhaps moving some to another spot will help. Make sure you use something to clean the area's the kitty has been using really well.a

We use feliway in our multicat home, we noticed a definite difference in general misbehavior when we started using it.
Do u use the feliway plug in? That's what i had and i end up returning it. Unfortunately it did not work for me. My next step is try the calming collar. I have to read into it if it is safe for my daughter. She does like to pet the kitties. She's very gentle when petting.

For getting rid of the urine i usually clean it with a paper towel along with chlorox wipes and spray it with Bissel pawsitively clean enzyme action cat stain and odor eliminator. My kitty usuay does not urinate at the same place but will do it elsewhere. She only does it on the tiles or wood floor. She won't go the same spot right away but probably a few weeks later or even months. Like i said earlier she will urinate/poop outside of the litter box and well go for like a week or 2 on being good then do it again. She only does it ONCE never multiple time within a day. I see her use the litter box as well then roughly 10-20 mins will urinate outside. Ughh

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We usually use the plugins and this time we're also going to have some of the spray, We have a little lady that developed some bad behavior when the people we had given her and her sister to got a small dog. Between the small dog and the wild children, and the people who don't listen to advice when it's asked for, she's having some issues.

They were going to hand her over to the humane society, I couldn't let that happen so they're back with us. We have the occasional problem still but we're working through all of the potential reasons to solve the problem. We, unfortunately don't have room for a box for each cat plus one. (We have far more kitties than we have house, but they're all rescues and they're all well cared for so... we just do the best we can).

Try to think outside the litter box, if you were her... is there anything going on that you wouldn't be happy with if you were her? Is the litter box easily accessible but still private? is there a box on the floor or in the room she's peeing in?

What kind of litter do you use? Perhaps she's not a fan of the litter? is there anything going on with her paws?

=^.^=crazycatlady=^.^=

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We usually use the plugins and this time we're also going to have some of the spray, We have a little lady that developed some bad behavior when the people we had given her and her sister to got a small dog. Between the small dog and the wild children, and the people who don't listen to advice when it's asked for, she's having some issues.

They were going to hand her over to the humane society, I couldn't let that happen so they're back with us. We have the occasional problem still but we're working through all of the potential reasons to solve the problem. We, unfortunately don't have room for a box for each cat plus one. (We have far more kitties than we have house, but they're all rescues and they're all well cared for so... we just do the best we can).

Try to think outside the litter box, if you were her... is there anything going on that you wouldn't be happy with if you were her? Is the litter box easily accessible but still private? is there a box on the floor or in the room she's peeing in?

What kind of litter do you use? Perhaps she's not a fan of the litter? is there anything going on with her paws?
Only thing that would be upsetting her may be my daughter, like i mention earlier. Her behavior started changing when i was roughly 4-6 months pregnant. Litter wise, she has been usually the same since she was a kitten. I tried the plug in, i end up returning it.