Poop Smears on the Floor???

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apparently, I have found two poop Smears more than five feet from the litter box. No sign of an actual poop outside the box but definite stinky Smears. I am using a pretty cheap litter, so idk if that has something to do with it but it is very mind-blowing. The Smears are dragged across the floor almost as if Cookie dragged her butt, however, I have never seen her exhibit that behaviour. Any ideas?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Cookie probably did drag her butt! Most times a cat who drags their behind across the floor does it for one of two reasons: 1.) loose stool and some stuck on their behind when they left the litterbox, and 2.) anal glands might be clogging up. The latter is generally due to loose stools as the firm stools are what helps to naturally express the anal glands. The only other possible reason with the anal glands is a lack of proper grooming of their behind - for a whole other multitude of reasons.

It could just be a fluke. Feeby has done it on a rare occasion, and typically when she has done so, it is because her stool is a bit softer than usual.

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Butt scooting can be a symptom of a lot of things. Does Cookie have short fur? My long-haired cat once got a whole nugget stuck in her butt fur and scooted all over my rugs while I was at work oof. The most benign reason is that it's possible she just had a dingleberry she needed to get off. Is her feces in the litter box firm? Diarrhea can lead to butt scooting if it gets stuck on their fur. On the flip side, constipation can also manifest as butt scooting and straining in the litter box.

If you've ruled that out, butt scooting is a very common symptom of intestinal parasites especially tapeworms, or of anal issues like the glands being clogged and needing expressed. Irritation of the anus due to parasites or even food/environmental allergies can lead to scooting. Because it happened so close to the litter box I'd check there first for clues. Otherwise just keep an eye on it and see if it happens again! If it's a recurring behavior I'd consider a vet visit, but with just a one off experience it might just be that she needed to wipe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah her poop is very normal, but again, the litter is literally the cheapest you can get. haha I'm upgrading her this weekend back to the first stuff I got her! Her stools are normal, but the other day she did have dried pieces on her actual butthole (she's shorthaired but I keep her tail hair trimmed to avoid poop sticking.) but she's also on wet food and has plenty of water so.. I guess I'll keep an eye on her. With the amount of dirt she digs in, worms is definitely a possibility *rolls eyes*

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Could also be like Captain Jack (aka Captain poopy-paws) who, after he poops, turns and steps in it. Then he tries to cover what's left, and goes back to running and playing 😑

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could also be like Captain Jack (aka Captain poopy-paws) who, after he poops, turns and steps in it. Then he tries to cover what's left, and goes back to running and playing 😑
Good lord I have one of those too. We call him Sir Sh!tfoot

Britney91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could be a symptom, could just be some uncharming behaviour. Cats don't know how to use toilet paper unfortunately haha. My advice would be, do a little check-up at the vet, just to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did realise after I asked that I had scooped her litter and put it in a used grocery bag and she likes to chase plastic bags around so that's probably what happened haha especially since i haven't found any more!